PDA

View Full Version : Teak Outdoor Kitchen

Gary Campbell
05-24-2008, 02:16 PM
We completed this Outdoor Grille Area last year. It is constructed from Teak solids and some 3/4" plywood floating panels. We were just able to get pictures after completion and I thought I would post one. It was one of our most satifying works.

Some of the features include: A hand hammered copper sink, Petrified wood laminated to corrugated aluminum for the bar top and backsplash, hyberbolic arch multilite upper doors with carved billfish accents, a carved sailfish backlit using fiber optics, speakers and drop down projection screen in the beam over the bar, granite work and outside serving surfaces and the rest is 4/4 and 5/4 Teak plus a BUNCH of sanding. We will be posting these newer pics to replace existing one on our website: www.islamoradawoodworks.com (http://www.islamoradawoodworks.com) in the near future.

myxpykalix
05-24-2008, 03:38 PM
Very nice. How long did that project take? Looks like quality work, good job.

Gary Campbell
05-24-2008, 04:20 PM
Thanks Jack...
It took 3 of us most of 2 months to complete. We had the pics taken to replace those on the website, but the one above looks worse! I can't get on the server to upload the new pics, but here the direct link to slideshow of this room.
http://islamoradawoodworks.com/rooms.aspx
Gary

myxpykalix
05-25-2008, 01:21 AM
Absolutely amazing...out of curiosity what did that job cost the customer? You do beautiful work.

Brady Watson
05-25-2008, 10:33 AM
Beautiful job as always, Gary!

-B

Gary Campbell
05-25-2008, 10:57 AM
Jack...
Thank you, for the compliment, we really try to do the best.

The completed price is, of course, a private number out of respect for our client, but I can give you some parameters of our costs.
Labor: $60K
Rough Teak: $16K
Stone & Fabricating: $30K
Plywood, hardware & Misc Mtls $5K
Carvers Fees $3.6K
Appliances $10K

And you can add a substantial double digit P&O number to that total also.

This job was a portion of a large 2 1/2 year remodel that we did on a very nice bayside estate. There are many other rooms that we did major facelifts to that are shown on the website. We also did the mfgr and install of a custom design balluster railing system on the exterior. It all started with an octagon 3 story Victorian design playhouse on the exterior that was built and rebuilt 4 times to please the owner. We were fortunate in the fact that we were able to outlive the original general contractor and 6 other millwork providers and installers in the completion of this project.

For jobs of this nature, we negotiate an hourly rate for our labor and shop, markup percentage and billing frequency, similar to cost plus fixed percentage, except that we do not apply the markup to our hourly charges.

You will notice the charges for the woodcarvers above. The difficulties of dealing with these somewhat eccentric talents were the deciding factor in our purchase of the ShopBot. So, this was not a job that was done on the bot, it was one that helped pay for it!
Gary