PDA

View Full Version : Dimensional SCustom Sign (PVC)

wingfield
07-26-2007, 12:34 PM
Hi this is my first real sign. It is an interior for a dot com company. Here are some pics along the way and it installed. I used 1/2 inch PVC for some letter and 2 glues together sheets of 1/2 PVC to give me a 1 inch letter. I used an inexpensive wagner spray gun and oil based paint to paint PMS match on 2 different colors. I am new to this and would love feed back. I would really like to know how to route Sign Foam HDU to make 3-d looking signs. HOW IS THIS DONE?

bleeth
07-27-2007, 10:03 AM
Wes: To do true 3-d work you need the design software. There are several packages commonly used by botters and you can find much discussion of them on the forum. One is v-carve, another is Rhino, another is Artcam. Some users also use other products to render their designs and the export the design to a program tha generated the cutting code. Most 3-d work is done by using a ball nose bit with a very small stepover (5-10%) and is much more time consuming than 2-d work. Sign foam works very well for 3-d carving, however, depending on the level of detail and different final colors, finishing can be an art all to itself.