PDA

View Full Version : Easy Hold Down Technique

joe
03-02-2008, 08:47 PM
I've previously posted a technique used for holding small, or difficult objects. It can be used for any size however.

The photos shows our favorite foam adhesive and the despencer. It's from Deman Products. The can has lasted me about a year. It costs about $15.00.

Here's the way I do it.

Use a scrap substrate like MDO, Melomine, Plex or just about anything, on which you can place your "To Be" routed material. Go around the side of your routing material with the foam. Not underneath. This sets up in about 10 minutes. Now just screw or clamp the larger substrate to the router bed.

When finished routing, you can go around the sides with a putty knife and along the bottom to relieve it. Don't worry about this stuff giving up the Ghost. It's really tough.

Joe

kfitz
03-02-2008, 10:16 PM
Shucks, I wish I'd thought of that. I like it Joe, thanks.

bpfohler
03-02-2008, 10:56 PM
Joe,
I looked on the web and couldn't find the product? Did you find it at one of the local big box stores?

joe
03-02-2008, 11:07 PM
Robert,

The product is EnerFoam 42 made by Demand Products. It's on page 39 in their catalogue or you can find it by a search for glue.

This is a really tough, tough stuff that cleans up nicely when cured.

www.demandproducts.com (http://www.demandproducts.com)

joe
03-02-2008, 11:13 PM
Robert,

The product is EnerFoam 42 made by Demand Products. It's on page 39 in their catalogue or you can find it by a search for glue.

This is a really tough, tough stuff that cleans up nicely when cured.

www.demandproducts.com (http://www.demandproducts.com)

myxpykalix
03-03-2008, 04:32 AM
Joe,
Is that stuff only to be used adhereing foam to a substrate or can you use it to adhere things like mdf or wood?

benchmark
03-03-2008, 07:39 AM
I have used the same principle, but with a hot melt glue gun.....it sets in seconds.

Paul

joe
03-03-2008, 07:50 AM
Jack,

I'm not sure. It seems this is much like Gorilla Glue only less dense. It's a good thought and might be worth a test or two.

Holding smaller pieces for routing has been the subject of discussion for some time. And the most common solution offered, has been Vac Pucks or throtteling down a big vac area. What a pain. Since we scrapped our whole vac system, three years ago, it's been clear sailing with physical hold downs.

I'll post a few other novice techniques as time goes along. The Oak object in my photo is one of my newly designed hold downs. I have three sizes. This one is 12".

john_l
03-03-2008, 11:44 AM
Joe,

I make signs too, and sometimes find using the vac to hold down a challenge due to the vast variety of material I work with. It seems we are constatntly changing the materials that are laid up on the bot. I am surprised that you are only using mechanical hold down now though.

I am even an old EIFS applicator... but never thought of that. Thanks for the tip on the Demand spray foam !

John

joe
03-03-2008, 01:24 PM
John,

It's good to hear from another sign fellow.

We are a little different from the regular sign shop in that our product line is only dimensional signs. Years ago we made banners, realty signs, lettered vehicles, etc.

While a good vac system can be an asset on some flat stock it's not very good at holding down a rough cedar plank, or redwood panels or most anything we do. Not to mention deliclate small pieces. Good old physical attachment seldom loose their grip and are less expensive.

If I had the best vac in the world, it would set idle.

Perhaps a quick view of the website will describe better our product.

www.normansignco.com (http://www.normansignco.com)

ljdm
03-03-2008, 01:46 PM
Joe.......
When using rough boards, I've had success with the Feins, along with the no-slip shelf liner material. All the holes in it allow vac to get through, yet help to conform to the irreglarities of rough wood. similar to the All Star gasket sheets, comes in 12" x 60" rolls, a buck a roll, cheaper than gasket sheets. Even with smooth wood, it helps alot in preventing parts from sliding. Ok, my two cents worth.......

joe
03-04-2008, 10:13 PM
Glad to hear a vac works on your produts however sometimes we have panels that aren't flat. Note even close. So some good clamps keeps us all flat.

When we first began making signs, twenty three years ago, they were all neatly glued up, sanded, and finished like furniture. Today we are moving into signs that have more natural character. We use rough sawn oak, cedar, and cypres which comes right out of the mill. I don't think there is a vacuum which will hold the fellows down. Even if there was, what's the point.

jay_p
04-02-2009, 01:41 PM
Joe,
Thanks for a great idea. I have started using Dow Great Stuff Pro to hold down material for 3d work after reading your suggestion. It works great!
Thanks again.

Jay