PDA

View Full Version : Tabletop design for PRS

3imoh
02-16-2007, 12:51 PM
Howdy Folks-

I have a 6x10 PRSAlpha on the way, and am working on my tabletop design. I am trying to use many of the great ideas on this board and I wanted to run my plan by the group to see if it seems reasonable.

I am getting a 14" z axis on this machine (will be a full 16" when some backordered parts arrive). I am going to build a raised table base to keep flexing to a minimum for the majority of my work. I would remove the table for any tall pieces.

So here is the basic table:

-2x4 stringers that are bolted to the crossmembers
-5x10x3/4" marine ply base
-5x10x2" MDF glued to the ply

I would like to incorporate a double fein vac setup with this, and at the same time allow screwing into the table. I have spent some time on an alpha, and know that for quick jobs or hardwoods I will be getting out the screwgun.

I really like Brady's replaceable vac plenums, and I am going to try them out. Once I have the table setup, I plan on a cutting a series of 2" holes completely thru the table...Not sure how many yet. In each one of these holes, I plan on gluing PVC pipe that would extend below the table to hook up to my vac lines. Instead of dealing with a bunch of valves, I plan on pocketing out a .25 or .5 circle over each pvc pipe. This would allow me to use some round plugs that would sit flush with the table surface. The underside of these plugs would have some vac foam on them to seal against the pvc. When I resurfaced my table, I would also run a program that would cut these pockets again to the same depth.

Instead of cutting a grid in the table, I am going to try the BradyVac (tm) method. Seems like it should work well...Guess the only concern would be if my table surface was too chewed up to get a good seal on the vac plenum/bleeder boards. Seems like I could just use some wood filler around the vac area if I did not want to do a full resurfacing.

I am going to run 2 feins to power this. I was planning to have all the zones plumbed into the 2 vacs, just using the plugs to control where the vac went. Is there any real advantage to being able to send one vac to specific group of zones? Guess I could make the plumbing more exotic in the future if need be. Also, would it help to seal the table top after surfacing to reduce vac loss thru the table? Seems like I won't be getting much loss thru 2" mdf...

I was also considering cutting slots for t-track into the table top, but it seems like it would be a pain to keep moving them down as I resurfaced and trying to keep the vac from leaking out. I am also considering a 1" thick t-track table that I could put on top of the mdf table when I needed it.

Thanks for any suggestions on this!
-Howie

richards
02-16-2007, 03:26 PM
Howie,
If you use a pallet system, you won't chew up your spoil board with screws. I use Brady's vacuum plenum design - and it works great! To get a really good seal, I just taped the underside with some AllStar tape. Depending on what I'm cutting, I use pallets that are anywhere from 24x48 up to full sheet size. The pallets are usually just pieces of MDF or particle board that I can screw the 'real' material to. In any case, the pallet is large enough for the Fein vacuum to hold firmly, and I don't have to worry about ruining my spoil board with too many screws.