PDA

View Full Version : Taking the plunge

oldford@worldnet.att.net
02-21-2003, 07:22 PM
Well, I'm new to this forum. I have just about decide to go for a 4' shopbot, but I would like to see one 'up close and personal' first. Kinda like wanting to kick the tires... I'm impressed with the tool's capabilities and impressed with Frank Smith's willingness to talk to me in great detail on his nickel. I have an appointment to kick the tires on a local machine on Monday, but the owner cautioned me that his is an old machine with cables and that it is quite unlike the newer models. I am looking at a 4' model because my shop can't fit an 8' one. Can some of you more experienced users let me know what I'm giving up by not going with the 8' model? Thanks in advance...

dands50@hotmail.com
02-21-2003, 07:53 PM
Just the size. so you are limited to a 4x4 but if you dont need it then what the heck. I use mine a prt96 alot for smaller stuff so I could have gotten by with a smaller one but when I have an 8' long sign to carve out well then that makes it nice. Dave in Wyoming

sleepy
02-21-2003, 10:55 PM
I bought a bench top in March of last year. It paid for itself in 3 months. Now I am working on a bid for the State that will require me to buy an 8' or job out the work for an 8'. If I had it to do again I would have bought the big one.

Dan Brown
02-21-2003, 11:41 PM
O P Frank

Pick'n up a new 96 03-07, and must say thanks to this forum and a new found friend for helping make the decision to buy a bot. I have also found that shopbotters take thier shopbot's to heart.

Dan

shuttle
02-22-2003, 05:50 PM
If there is space in your shop, then a 4X4 machine could do an 8' sheet, it would have to be done in 2 stages.

old_post_frank
02-22-2003, 07:30 PM
Thanks to all who responded, I think I have decided to go for broke and get an 8' version. When you consider the difference in price, and that the table difference is only 4', then the decision is easy. I think there is a bigger factor , though. I'd hate to turn down work that would have been a snap on an 8' table just because my table is only 4'. I think I'll squeeze it in and go for it. Thanks for the advice.

Frank

elcruisr
02-23-2003, 08:54 AM
Frank, I don't think you'll regret going for the larger table. In fact depending on your market the bigger you go the more work you might get. We opted for a 5' x 12' table. For a while I was wondering if we had bought bigger than was really needed. We now have been able to start getting some of our work specifically because we have such a large table. Of course one guy wanted to know if we could cut 16' parts! Jeesh!!! No matter what, someone always wants bigger...

Eric Lamoray