PDA

View Full Version : Wooden Fishing Lure Bodies

blake_gills
01-05-2005, 03:34 PM
Does anyone out there have any experience with making fishing lure bodies?

ron brown
01-05-2005, 03:43 PM
I turned several hunderd by hand in lathe and finished with bandsaw/jig/chisel. Setting the more flat, shaped ones up for cutting by CNC should not be much of a problem.

Ron

artisan
01-05-2005, 04:05 PM
I've made hundreds as well....though not with the Shopbot. I've used Basswood, Cedar and Balsa in the past and made mostly the "guppy" style bodies that cannot be lathe turned due to their asymmetrical shape. I'd rather be fishing right now....D

blake_gills
01-05-2005, 04:40 PM
I guess I need to be more clear on what I'm wanting. I need a machine that is able to cut crankbait/jerkbait bodies. I can make them all day by using a lathe or bandsaw, but what I need is mass production. I have been in the fishing lure business for many years, and have avoided the crankbait/jerkbait business because of the difficulties involved with mass production of such bodies. The problem comes down to "Holding" the work. When you get down to routing a piece of wood that is less than 4" long and 1/2" in width, things seem to get crazy. BUT, I have not schooled myself with the newest technology that's out there and hopefully this forum will help me. Ron...the flat sided and contoured shape is exactly what I'm looking for. But, can the shape be cut AND have the edges rounded in the same process? Check out lures #9 and #16 to get an idea of what I'm needing at http://blakegills.8k.com/photo.html

rookie432
01-05-2005, 04:48 PM
Looks like you would be able to do most of these with the indexer and a bunch of time working out the programming the shape. But once you got it ...you got it .

You could crank em out at a pretty good clip. there would probably be some final hand working but should be nominal.

just my 2 pennys worth

Bill

ron brown
01-06-2005, 09:53 AM
I think they could be done w/o an indexer with one flip. Holding will be "interesting".

Ron

propellers
01-06-2005, 10:02 AM
We cut 3D daily on our PRT and I see cutting lures not being a problem with a very small amount of handwork left.

I would think the tabletop unit would be ideal for cutting several in one operation. For the size of your part the tabbing feature would work cutting one side, indexing the part so when you turn it over it would be exactly aligned and run the opposite side part file.

You only need one side programed then inverse the program for the opposite side since both sides are identical. To simplify the programming process either hire the program to be written or use the Probe to build a part file, keeping it in house. You would be amazed how simple this is and the amount of time you have been wasting in the past by hand carving.

I have always wondered how the painting of the fish scales were done. Would you mind sharing the proceedure?

I have other ideas of part holdown. Give me a call, 419-877-5557 Lonnie Prince

artisan
01-06-2005, 11:24 AM
Much like Lonnie has said, would'nt you just cut 2 halves and then glue them together? This would allow for the proper weighting which affects the "bounce" or "wobble" in most baits. I've always made mine in halves and put a wire harness inside with a weight on it. I don't trust screws to hold the treble hooks....D

Brady Watson
01-06-2005, 06:51 PM
Another option for you is DeskProto. It will correctly register both halves for the 'flip' and create complimentary toolpaths. It also will put 3D holding tabs to hold the part to the stock and remember where they are when you run the 2nd toolpath. It's a very nice product for $1300...and is also the cheapest toolpathing software for doing 3D on the indexer.

-Brady

davidallen
01-07-2005, 07:02 PM
if you want to make mass quantities, don't use wood. use the shopbot to make a mold for several hundred then cast them in resin.

kivimagi
03-23-2006, 06:58 PM
Would anyone be interested in "scanning", and providing me a toolpath to create a wooden fish lure body?

I currently have a lure, that a client would like produced, but do not have the software/equipment to duplicate it.

If interested please send me a private message through the forum.

Willing to pay of course!

Regards,

Ryan

Brady Watson
03-24-2006, 04:35 PM
Ryan,
You have 'PM'...send me an e-mail.

-Brady

nappy1
03-30-2006, 06:42 AM
I would make two halves and glue them together. You can put a patten int the surface if you wish.
I have a Picza that will copy your sample no problem.