PDA

View Full Version : Pineapple post 4x4x36

steve
02-17-2010, 11:55 AM
Here is another one. In cherry.
Not entirley happy with the sanding job, need one of those "mouse" sanders.

dlcw
02-17-2010, 12:06 PM
WOW!

That is very impressive. I think I know where I'm going for these parts in the future.

Don
www.dlwoodworks.com (http://www.dlwoodworks.com)

gene
02-17-2010, 12:44 PM
What bits were used and how long was the machining times?

myxpykalix
02-17-2010, 08:42 PM
Another one! I like the design element above the pineapple part that looks like it is emerging from a pod. Tell me how you did that and more importantly how you are making these design?

Are you starting with a dxf profile or how are you designing the part to begin with? Do you have any screenshots? Good one...AGAIN!!

steve
02-19-2010, 04:30 PM
Gene, bit were 1/2" round nose and 1/8" tapered round nose.
Jack,I used the same vectors as I used for the big pineapple pedistle I did, just resized them. The whole thing was modeled in Artcam.i usually do the parts seperatly and then combine them in a new file. Machine time was 7 hours I think.

myxpykalix
02-19-2010, 05:55 PM
hey stephen do you think you could model a crown and cut it and wear it because you seem to be the
"King of Indexeria"

All hail the king!! lol
another goody!

steve
02-19-2010, 06:07 PM
don't have to Jack, Vector Art 3D has one, #50443

i pefer "Indexeria" to many places on earth!

myxpykalix
02-19-2010, 11:23 PM
All hail the king.......

ricky_spearman
02-20-2010, 09:08 AM
Hey Jack
Your not too bad at grafx your self!! lol
good thinking....

jporter
02-20-2010, 10:27 AM
Stephen, I know you said you used ArtCam, but could this have been done in Aspire also? These posts and pedestals you make are beautiful. I don't pretend to be able to do this kind of work, (even with ArtCam which I don't have anyway), but I do have Aspire. I know that Aspire has a wrapper gadget now, but can it do the tapers and curves. Thanks for any help in this matter, joe

steve
02-20-2010, 10:48 AM
Joe, I'm not sure if that post could be done in Aspire. I have downloaded their trial verison but it does not contain the wraping stuff. Too bad to, I was thinking about buying it because it has a textureing tool that I like and use for flat work (in Partworks). I was hopeing they had a rotery post processer or some way to do rotery work. I see now that Art 10 has the texture tool as well, along with a lot of other improvements.The price for the upgrade is about the same as Aspire. I will wait untill after the first service pack is out, maybe then Aspire will have a rotory PP.
For now I just don't know if you could do this in Aspire, maybe someone else on the forum can coment on this.

Someone here suggested I start selling my desgines. I am considering it, not sure what form that would take.I suppose I could offer the toolpaths and instructions.
Anyone interested in that?

steve
02-20-2010, 10:51 AM
By the way Jack I don't ware my crown at work, too heavy.

jporter
02-20-2010, 11:14 AM
Very definately "Yes!" to the designs for sale! Thanks for the come-back. You could also sell the design for your beautiful hall tables. Once gain, thanks for the reply and any help in the future. joe

myxpykalix
02-20-2010, 03:16 PM
Stephen,
As i told you in the email I don't think the market would be as wide as flat stock models but some of the biggest problems we indexer owners face is 1) not having the programs to create the files and 2)not having the creativity to make them (i'm talking about all of them...not me!)lol

A little planning and research for average sizes like the height, width of balusters, table legs, ect because some of those are standard sizes that don't change.
You could do like James Booth and sell the model in various formats priced like his maybe. Then for those that don't have the different programs you could standardize your settings for all models like Zzero location and setup then sell the toolpaths for say a lower price.

When i bought my indexer there was virtually nothing available for the indexer and several people, myself included, made wizards and other helpful programs to run the indexers and you see now vectric doing something.
I have talked to several people who bought indexers that were just collecting dust for the longest time. They have pulled them out and gotten a renewed interest since all of us have been posting our creations.

If I were a shopbot owner without an indexer and could see that now for $25.00 (or whatever you price) I could now offer a whole new line of products I would be tempted to buy or build an indexer.
I guess it just goes to show the foresight and creativity us indexer owners have over you "average" shopbotters! lol

You probably already have a decent library built up and from the several i've seen you don't seem to have a problem coming up with cool designs, my only question is when can I buy my first design? good luck

kevin
02-20-2010, 03:52 PM
I would buy the libary
It would save me a huge amount of time for trial and eror
I'am working on getting a indexer

steve
02-20-2010, 05:50 PM
OK guys, I'm sold. I'll start think about what to sell. I suppose if many people don't have the software or time to do the models, one way to go would be selling the toolpaths as I mentioned. With all the turnings/carvings I have done so far there is a bit change, anything that is reeded or fluted there is another bit change.
I think this means another web site for products and a place to put instructions.
Jack, I don't have quite the library you may think, but I think I do have enough to start. I will base new work on requests and whatever I come up with. For instance, I am working on a new table pedistal based on the Thistle post. It will be 7.5" dia x 24" high,there will be enough straight section at the top to lose 2" if the table is going to have leaves.
Their will be other issues as well, for instance, table pedistals are generaly hollow for the bottom 5 or 6 inches, I'll post pictures of how I glue them up. I guess some video would be helpfull to.