PDA

View Full Version : Window trim to help a manufactured home.

knight_toolworks
10-04-2008, 03:22 AM
We have a manufactured house that has the recalled composite siding. We had it inspected and they claimed it was not installed right and only nailed a few boards down.
Well after tearing into it I can see why. Where the horizontal overlapped the vertical no amount of sealing helped. The stuff moves ½” in a year and everything stuck to it pops loose or tears the surface off.
The windows mounted on the outside did not help either.
So off with the old on with the new. I put layer of tyveck around the windows sealed with silicone then put a whole sheet around the end I am working on.
All the corners are sealed now (they never did anything but cover them with strips of the same material)
I also used solid wood for the trim. Both the siding and trim were primed and painted before I installed it and I sealed behind the trim to keep water out.

I had little money to do this job right now with the wife laid off. Even then it cost about 750.00
So I had fun with the trim around the windows. I wish I could have used better wood but I hope I made the cheap stuff look better.
It still needs some cleaning and sealing but it is raining today.
I also need to remove the wood skirting it is rotten. But there is metal under it.
A before pic and after pics. If you follow the link you can see more pictures.

http://s154.photobucket.com/albums/s266/knighttoolworks/house/