PDA

View Full Version : Using shopbot as a planer

msantos
01-11-2008, 10:15 PM
I am gluing up 1x8x8 mahagony and want to plane the boards so i have a flat surface. i have already glued them together so how do i do this on the bot? what is the command to do this?

thanks for the help!

Gary Campbell
01-11-2008, 10:29 PM
Martin..
You can use the table top surfacer in SB3 or earlier posts have a couple surfacers with inputs for stepdown, stepover, length & width written by David Buchsbaum and Paco. Or you can input the size as a rectangle in either PW select clear area (raster 0 degrees)
Gary

knight_toolworks
01-12-2008, 01:06 AM
I like using vcarve to do it since it will let you raster with the grain. just make a box slightly larger then the piece. use ramp in and it is easy to cut a bit deeper then you normally can.

andyb
01-12-2008, 10:06 AM
Martin,
Ditto on what Steve said. I just did this last weekend with some cedar that I glued up for a sign. The sign is for a friend that is the Scoutmaster of a local troop. I surfaced both sides. The only problem I had was holding the board down. My vacuum wasn't holding it enough.

Andy B.

knight_toolworks
01-12-2008, 12:26 PM
I just made a pegboard with cams for holding parts that a vacuum won't hold. I will post a picture today. the bot is great for cutting boards no glue worries at all and they are cut very cleanly. Just got the amana 2.5" flattening bit it works great.

dray
01-13-2008, 12:28 AM
I just did that with ironwood