PDA

View Full Version : Door accent

myxpykalix
03-11-2007, 04:06 AM
I wanted to do some type of door design accent to go along with the wainscoting I made. Here is what i came up with and here is how i did it. I asked in here for design suggestions and was told to go to door mfgs to look for designs. I found this one:

I tried fooling around with inkscape and other apps to try to get the design in a format i could work with and had more problems till Ron Varella offered to help. He took that picture and turned it into this:

I then took the dxf and toolpathed it to cut out certain parts then to just clear other parts to certain depths. This is what it looks like cut on the table.

Then i took the hollow core door painted it a pale yellow color, the same as the walls and then painted the door accent white the same color as the trim and wainscoting. I like the contrast in colors and here is what it looks like when it is 90% done. I have some touchup and mount the hardware and have to glue it to the door but this is the basic idea of what i wanted.

I couldn't have done this without the help of Ron Varella. He helped me EXTENSIVELY! He taught me a lot and helped me learn a lot of stuff in the creation process of this, so Ron...YOUDAMAN!

myxpykalix
03-12-2007, 11:39 PM
finished, hung door. I still need to make something for that corner for a sconce.

gene
03-13-2007, 02:49 AM
Jack,
Is this in your house or a job you are doing ?
Looks great

myxpykalix
03-13-2007, 03:05 AM
It is an apartment in one of my rental houses. The tennant moved out after 6 years and it needed some upgrading so since i had this new toy at my disposal i figured i'd use this apartment to try some creative stuff. I only have about $150.00 in the raw materials to make the wainscoting and door accents (3 sheets of mdf) and some paint. Don't ask how much time invested in design, toolpathing, cutting, ect. It only took about and hour or two to install it.

gene
03-13-2007, 09:42 PM
I bet the rent went up , Didn`t it