PDA

View Full Version : Couple of Write offs...:-)

john_r
05-22-2007, 04:48 PM
For some friends

myxpykalix
05-22-2007, 05:11 PM
I really like your ericksons sign. The combination of the shell and the background is real neat.
Tell me, it looks like you did a pocket toolpath for the name but how did you set it up to cut the background pattern around the top part of the name? I assumed the outside vector around the name extended around the whole name. Did you somehow cut that vector and weld it to the outline of the top? what was your cutting order?

john_r
05-22-2007, 05:51 PM
Yes I cut a pocket for the letters...I'm still learning. This is my 4th piece off the shopbot...I have little time to play since I work a fulltime job and have a family, as I'm sure a lot of folks do here. I cut 2 of these. The first one I had cut everything out at once. The second one I cut:
1. background texture
2. pocket for name
3. pocket for letters
4 the shell
5. the letters
6. final cut to remove from blank

The first sign cutting would have turned out but I missed on the final cut out by .25 and it ruined the whole sign, after 4.5 hours of cutting. So I decided to try cutting it in pieces and glueing them together...for the time involved doing it this way...I can't say it would be very lucrative VS doing it all in one cut. I have about 12 hours doing it in pieces. and about 5 in one cut. As far as the design goes, it's about 6 different vectors to make up this piece so the texture above the letters is a seperate vector. If that makes any sense?
I figure to make it worth while to do one of these signs I'd have to charge $350.00-400.00 Don't know if there is a market that would support that price. But it came out nice and my friend will like it. The second sign took 1.5 hrs to cut.

jhicks
05-22-2007, 07:56 PM
J, not sure where you are located but for your 4 th piece, I would say you are doing quite well.
Good for YOU!
As far as price is concerned, you will be surprised what the "right customer in the right market" will value your work at and it could very well sell for that or more.
So don't undervalue your work and don't be afraid to take on a new project. YOU CAN DO IT, SO START HIGH!
Custom one of a kind design and fabrication isn't a cheap commodity import available on every street corner so don't undersell your work and Keep it up.

john_r
05-22-2007, 08:20 PM
Thanks for the encouragement Jerry.