PDA

View Full Version : New fireplace mantel

dlcw
01-08-2010, 08:47 PM
I just completed this project for a customer.

Old mantel

New mantel

Mantel carving

Carving detail

I used the gel stain glazing technique that was posted over on the Vectric forum to bring the deer to the foreground and send the mountain range to the background.

All of the fluting on the fireplace surround was done on the Bot. The corbels were also cut on the Bot.

Finish is Dalys honey pecan stain and 4 coats of lacquer.

Don
www.dlwoodworks.com (http://www.dlwoodworks.com)

scottcox
01-08-2010, 10:01 PM
Beautiful work, Don. Especially the glazing. I'm sure you had a happy customer.

wberminio
01-08-2010, 10:14 PM
Very impressive Don.

coach
01-08-2010, 10:36 PM
very nice job Don.

mikeacg
01-08-2010, 10:39 PM
Don,

Thanks for posting the 'before' picture too! What a dramatic change!

Mike

gene
01-08-2010, 11:27 PM
Would you mind saying what the mantle sold for?
i know i am on the other side of the usa so the price wont be very accurate , and how long did the file take to cut?
Very good job.

myxpykalix
01-09-2010, 01:34 AM
Don,
As i slowly scrolled down to read your post and it said:
"I just completed this project for a customer."

and i saw the first picture and thought...hmmm that doesn't look right the stone is way too big for the mantel proportionately it doesn't look right...of course i would never say that to you.

THEN...i kept scrolling down to be surprised by the second picture which looks fantastic!
I love the detail and what you did with the glazing. It's those extra steps that add the detail that make some of these projects stand out and that extra effort sure makes a difference. Good job!

phil_o
01-09-2010, 08:54 AM
The customer must be thrilled. Quite an improvement over the original. I had the same reaction as Jack.

mitch_prest
01-09-2010, 09:22 AM
I am another one that saw the first one and thought.... damn .. thats ugly..
what a great improvement...its really too bad they put all that krap back on a great piece of art.. you can't spell that with a "c" won't let you post it

navigator7
01-09-2010, 10:25 AM
Am I the only one that calculated how much freezer space is remaining before selecting a target squeezing the trigger?

(...You might be a redneck when......)

Awesome work, Don!

..... But that heater to the lower left of the mantel conflicts with my world view of utility, proportion and location.
Shouldn't a wet bar go there?
;-)

butch
01-09-2010, 11:27 AM
Don
Heck of a nice job.
I like his glazing technique and have used it on several items now.
Butch