PDA

View Full Version : Shopbot Control Software

phil_o
03-26-2010, 11:11 AM
When I am using the Shopbot for normal 3 axis cutting the indexer motor is not in use but it is getting fairly warm. Is there a way to shut off power to that motor in the Shopbot Control Software?

jdervin
03-26-2010, 07:18 PM
I don't know of one, but I've noticed the same thing and think this would be a great idea.

steve
03-26-2010, 08:49 PM
I don't think that's the way is should be. Mine doesn't. But I have no idea how to fix that, ... well I have 1 idea, email Shopbot.

phil_o
03-28-2010, 09:00 AM
I sent an email to Shopbot Support. They responded by saying;
There is no way to turn off power to your indexer in the software when it is not in use.

If you have a Standard you can unhook the indexer when cutting 3D files. Just be sure to turn off your control box before unplugging your motor.

Maybe if a few more people brought it up to Support they would add it. I've been told that Mach 3 has such a feature.

myxpykalix
03-28-2010, 05:20 PM
I had never noticed that mine was getting hot when not using it, but i suppose that makes sense that it would be powered. I don't suppose it lowers the life of the motor by it just sitting there getting warm does it?

Gary Campbell
03-28-2010, 05:58 PM
Guys...
The reason that the "unused" axis is powered at all times makes perfect sense. The software is not receiving a command to move that axis, therefore it must hold it. Doesnt matter if it's the X,Y,Z,A or B. Most all other cases require an axis to hold its position when not moving.

This of course is a slightly different situation, as the axis in total will not be used. Why dont you set your VD number of axes to 3? I am pretty sure that no power will go to the indexer.

widgetworks_unlimited
03-28-2010, 11:03 PM
I checked the alpha motor on my 4th axis - didn't feel warm at all.

I read over the manual on the alpha motor drivers a couple of months ago. If I remember correctly, the driver has a power conservation state that it automatically goes into when the motor has not received a step signal in a while. I believe this will keep the shaft "locked" but is designed to stop the heating issue.

I also was looking through Gecko documentation around the same time and I believe their drivers all include a similar feature.

My memory could be off on this info, so check for yourself if it's important - just trying to be helpful, not trying to start a bunch of gossip.

Gary's idea is worth a shot.