PDA

View Full Version : Recently finished guitar

sagreen83
06-10-2007, 01:51 PM
I recently finished this Guitar. Loved the way it turned out. Plays and sounds awesome. Sorry bout the lighting.

Scott...

"
2134"

Brady Watson
06-10-2007, 02:29 PM
Scott,
Beautiful job! That turned out GREAT!

-B

harryball
06-10-2007, 04:33 PM
My hat is off, I wouldn't even begin such a project. It looks great.

Robert

mzettl
06-10-2007, 07:09 PM
That is truly a work of art. I would be interested to know what operations you used the Bot for, and what was done by hand. Whatever the case, the craftsmanship is exceptional.

tmerrill
06-11-2007, 07:02 AM
Very impressive!

Like Matt, I would be interested in more details as to how you used your ShopBot to build it.

Tim

brian_h
06-11-2007, 10:00 AM
Nice job, Scott. Wish you lived around Minneapolis. I'm still a ways away from trying to do a guitar.

I'm curious how much the bot did. For instance, the bot probably cut the F hole and the pick-up holes. How about the banding? Did you make your neck & fretboard or buy it?

The finish looks great, too. What did you choose for the finish?

Again, awesome job!

sagreen83
06-21-2007, 07:39 PM
All,

Thanks for the comments. Even though I dont get to make enough of them, making guitars is my passion!

Also, Sorry for the delay... Have been on vacation since posting the photo...

This is the 2nd guitar that I have made using the 'Bot, and my 6th electric to date. I would say that about 80% of the work was done with the bot. The body is hollow alder, and capped by 1/4" flame maple. All of the body milling was done on the bot. Basically the hollow portions of the body, control holes and slots, neck pocket, F-Hole, pickup holes, and outside cutout were done with the bot. The birds eye maple neck back was roughed out with the bot, and finished by hand. The cocobolo fretboard was done with a radiusing sander.. The banding is always the hard part and was done with a hand held router with a special binding bit. I did all of the design work in Turbo Cad. The finish is a water base laquer, and has about 10 coats. Final buffing was done with buffing compounds and a slow speed 12" free standing buffing machine.

Prior to these last 2 guitars, I have always done them 100% by hand. Funny enough, for me it really doesnt go any faster using the bot because I have used templates for the previous guitars. The thing I love about doing this on the bot is repeatability and changeability. I can tweek control locations, pickup combinations, neck pockets etc without having to re-tool, just re-cad and toolpath.

I'll post a photo of my newly build 11'x16' spray booth that I built in my shop to do this thing...

Scott...

harryball
06-21-2007, 10:10 PM
Please do, we are planing a spray booth in the near future (granted it's for something totally different :-) but I've been gathering ideas.

Robert