PDA

View Full Version : Probe file

propellers
05-06-2010, 09:30 PM
I haven't used my probing program in quite awhile and just ran a 3.5 mb file with version 3.6.14. The probing results are excellent, however, when I run the program at MS 2.5,2.5 the SB seems to run around MS .5 regarless of was MS is assigned. The movement is very jerky in X, the major axis. It does smooth out with higher ramp settings but MS is slow. Comm speed 74% which is good. As you can see in the program code the probe was set to sample every .05" and took around 6 hrs. to complete. The probe was tape covered wood part to metal .5" stylus..normal for all our probed parts.
Called SB and so far all seems to run perfect on Frank's simulator. Another wierd effect when running preview on VisEdit is some of the file does not project the part properely, some area's missing and others having unusual Z & Y moves but on SB previewer the file looks great.
Any ideas or suggestions? I feel it has to do with a ramping issue but tried resetting factory setting, rebooting, adjusting ramps, thresholds and any other setting in VR that looked appropiate.

Brady Watson
05-07-2010, 09:06 AM
Lonnie,
What ramp settings are you currently using?

-B

propellers
05-07-2010, 10:20 AM
Brady, Thanks for responding. The ramps were at factory defaults and the jerking of the machine was horrible so I moved the ramping to max limits and X ran much smoother but even though speed was set at 2.5 and up to 8 the machine movement remained at approximately .5...very slow.

Brady Watson
05-07-2010, 10:41 AM
Lonnie,
The only setting on VR you should really mess with is the Slow Corner Speed. Everything else should remain the same - unless you want to adjust the Min Distance to Check to .08 and 3D Threshold to 150.

The Slow Corner Speed influences ramping more than any other setting. Increasing it reduces ramping and makes the tool more aggressive in BOTH XY and XZ/YZ 3D moves. Lowering it will cushion moves.

In my experience, Move Speed is critical when cutting 3D. There are certain speeds that seem to work better than others. I know I have posted this a gajillion times...but here are speeds that I have found work best for 3D relief cutting:

One fundamental thing that operators need to understand is that, you must consider what you are asking the tool to do while cutting. In many cases, it is not possible to go 2.5" on the XY AND Z with smooth cutting action. I don't know what machine you are running, but 1:1 Alpha machines are limited to about 2.5 IPS in the Z due to the amount of torque needed to throw that router up & down. PRT/PRS 3G & 4G are about the same as well before you'll lose steps - depending on VR settings.

My advise to you would be to lower the MS down to 2,1 & reset your VR to factory defaults, save for the Slow Corner Speed (set at 45) and Min Dist to Check (set to .08) & 3D Threshold (Set at 150). Start with these settings and then if it is cutting smoothly, try bumping it up to 3,2 on the MS. Believe it or not, a lower MS setting often results in faster cutting because the tool will have less of a tendency to ramp depending on the shape that you are cutting. I know it seems backwards...but try it & see how it goes.

-Brady

rcnewcomb
05-08-2010, 02:54 AM
Brady,

I tried your VR settings and move speeds today on two different 3D carvings and they worked wonderfully. Thanks for posting this information!:)

Brady Watson
05-08-2010, 09:38 PM
Hey Randy - Glad they worked out well for you!

If you want a smoother & more responsive tool in 'k' keyboard mode, try changing the Fast Stop Threshold to something like 1 & the Keypad Ramp Rate to .2 - That makes it move the way you wish it would have moved from day 1...

-B

propellers
05-10-2010, 09:36 AM
Brady,

I tried your VR settings and move speeds today on two different 3D carvings and they worked wonderfully. Thanks for posting this information!:)

Thanks for the help everyone. Ted seems to have located an issue with the probe file where the Z had multiple identical moves within the same location and is looking into it this morning.