PDA

View Full Version : New unit assembled and running but have a few questions

ajf
05-17-2010, 11:00 PM
How hot do the drive motors get normally. I did a trail cut using the Aztec calendar design and I was a bit surprised how hot the motors got.

I also got my first lost communication error though I'm pretty sure what caused it as it didn't happen again after I rerouted a cable. But in regards to this lost communication error I was wondering if anyone could answer this question. On my old router which used Mach 3 software there was setting that I found very useful and that is the "Inputs Signal Debouncing/Noise Reduction" , is there such a setting in the ShopBot software and if so where is it located. Here is an explanation of debounce from the MACH 3 forum.
"Debouncing; What is it and what is used for? Well, if you ever looked at the current through (or the voltage across) a mechanical switch or a relay as it was changing states you would notice that the transition is not always a nice, clean step function. Often there are several changes before the switch makes its transition. In this case, the switch is said to be "bouncing". However, the same behavior can be observed in dirty switches or switches that are switching a heavy load.
Debouncing routines sample the switch's state at a fairly high rate. When a change in the state is detected, the routine will count anywhere from 1 to whatever the debounce number is set to. Mach samples to make sure the transition was not a glitch and that the switch has settled to its new state. The higher the number the longer it waits to verify that the switch has indeed been triggered and is not just noise from servo,spindle, etc. "

The other question I have is after running the unit for awhile is there adjustments that need to be redone, or does the machine stay in sync fairly well.

michael_schwartz
05-17-2010, 11:11 PM
The other question I have is after running the unit for awhile is there adjustments that need to be redone, or does the machine stay in sync fairly well.

Give everything a good shake with the machine powered up and look for any slop. You will periodically need to loosen the bolts for the motors and lift them back up tight with the pinions.

I would go over the machine with a socket wrench monthly with heavy use, or every few months with light use and check bolts to make sure they are tight.

richards
05-18-2010, 08:37 AM
Most stepper motors have class B insulation which allows them to run at 80 C (which is hot enough to blister a finger tip).

On my Shopbot, for the inputs, I've added opto-isolation connected to an Atmel 89 series microcontroller. The opto-isolation helps keep electrical noise outside the controller card. The micro-controller adds the debouncing delays. Even with opto-isolation, I use shielded cable for all signal lines and I ground the shield at a master grounding lug on the control box.

dlcw
05-18-2010, 10:58 AM
If you have a PRS Alpha I am amazed at how hot your motors are. I can run a 12 hour carving job and all my drive motors are not the least bit warm. Room temperature would describe them. Are the motors to tight between the racks and pinions? I was told by tech support (I think :o) between 15 lbs. and 20 lbs. of pressure. Make sure the racks are lub'd with grease.

ajf
05-18-2010, 11:39 AM
The unit is a PRSstandard. The tracks are lubricated and I spent a far amount of time mounting the drives to insure they were engaging properly. Though the drives were hot to touch I would not say they would have burned me. It just when I compare them to the drive motors (gecko) on my old router they seemed to be running alot hotter than these drives did after cutting the same file.

michael_schwartz
05-18-2010, 12:49 PM
I would say the motors on my PRS Standard at the most have been warm, but never hot (that I have noticed). As Mike Richard's posted the heat shouldn't be a concern, but if you feel It is excessive I would consult tech support to make sure something abnormal isn't causing it.

Keep in mind though heat is a fairly normal thing within electronics. My laptop can be like a toaster in my lap sometimes on a hot day. That is with a 60w power supply.