PDA

View Full Version : Holding veneer when inlaying

tappsman
05-21-2010, 01:00 AM
I have been trying to use the inlay feature of PartWorks to inlay some veneer. The pocket is cutting nicely but when trying to cut the male piece the veneer breaks up and is unusable. I have been using spray contact cement to temporarily attach the veneer to a piece of MDF but it does not hold well enough to cut properly and breaks up.

Any suggestions on how to hold the veneer for cutting and still be able to release it.

knight_toolworks
05-21-2010, 01:05 AM
you can glue it to some mdf and plane it off after it is glued up.

magic
05-30-2010, 06:09 PM
Old post/new info

I use a 1/16 bit and speeds of .2 ips

An other strategy is: Permanently glue the veneer to a substrate and cut the pocketing deep enough to accecpt the veneer with the substrate.

Then go around the bottom of the substrate with rough sandpaper which will round over the edges and the piece will fit in easier.

coach
05-31-2010, 12:33 PM
Spray veneer and substrate with laminate contact adhesive. (spray can will suffice) Let it tack up then apply the veneer. Make certain to J roll or use a block with a rag to rub it firmly in place.
After you cut your part use laquer thinner to remove the veneer from the substrate. Make sure to let it evaporate befor re applying.
When I need to remove laminate I lift a corner with a painters 5 in 1 tool.
Then I put in small amounts of laq. thinner. I have squirt bottles for this application but any way you get it between the 2 parts will work.

Make certain the laq. thinner doesn't discolor your veneer. I have used it on veneer and then stained and had no problems.