PDA

View Full Version : Chest, Knapp joint

butch
10-15-2007, 04:04 PM
Here is my rendition of the Knapp joint in a chest.

-Butch

harryball
10-15-2007, 04:24 PM
Very nice. Just a sanding with a poly finish?

Is the deer plaque and on the box or did you inlay it into the wood?

Robert

butch
10-15-2007, 05:57 PM
Hi Robert
Thanks,
Its pine with sanding sealer, then a light Gold Oak stain with 3 coats of Laquer sprayed on.
I inlayed a maple oval into the pine. Then carved the dished elk and I did an edging around the dished carving to hide any lines. I glazed the carving with a dark brown glaze. Pretty straight forward but I thought I would share the results. I spent more time developing a clamp to hold the end panels for the Knapp joint, as that was new for me.

edcoleman
10-15-2007, 08:22 PM
Butch:

It is a little hard to see from the picture (maybe it's my monitor) is the top a single slab?

Verrry nice work.

-Ed

butch
10-15-2007, 09:03 PM
No, its an 1 1/2" panel and then there is a 3/4" molding that give the lid the appearance of being thick. The board got reversed, so it doesn't have the same grain reflection as the lid. Another opps!

myxpykalix
10-16-2007, 12:32 AM
Nice job Butch. Did you do the joints on the bot? How did you register your parts to make sure the pin and hole lined up correctly?

butch
10-16-2007, 07:33 AM
Jack
Thanks
I made a clamp for the end of the bed and measured to the edges of my board on my clamp, from Y=0, and used the bot to mark a series of pin points on the bed to determine a straight line from the edge of the board I mounted for the end clamp. Then simply took a square and screwed a piece of wood to the table and to my end clamp. Then it was just a matter of aligning the edges with the clamp. I am off about 1/32", so I need to redo my edges. But realy didn't make any difference.
To make the pins, I simply set the program to zero at the bed, and then like a dove-tail jig, I even the edge of the end panel with the top of the side panels. This leaves about 3/4", or in this case .78" to be cut by the shopbot.
Worked as well as my $400 Keller dove-tail jig, and faster(plus I couldn't do 18 1/2" on my Keller jig).
Now if I get my joint program to work with variables, all I have to do is enter the width of the board and number of joints to cut and the ShopBot should figure it out on its own. But I ran out of time and had to make the cuts, so maybe some day I can make that program work. That would make joints easy to do.
I read most of your contributions, and appreciate the advice. Sure has helped me at times.
Thanks
Butch