PDA

View Full Version : Problems with all axis but not at the same time

meatbal80
07-14-2010, 12:32 PM
I have now had this problem on 5 seperate occasions. I will be running a part file and one of the axis will just stop moving. The comp shows the axis moving but nothing is happening. I intitially thought that the motor might be overheating (have not been able to measure temp accuratly). The 2nd and third time that this happened it was after i had been running the bot all day intermitently with a fair load. The controller hadn't been powered off for probably 24 hours. Some backround info i have my bot in my 2 car garage that does not have climate control and i live in Phoenix AZ, our high temps have been about 110-117 for the past month. This last time that i had this problem (today) the bot had been powered down over night and the y axis froze after about 30 min of milling. Yesterday i ran a 3 hour long cut file and had no problems. with this problem appearing to be random i have not gotten a grasp on what could be wrong.

Any thoughts?

John David
07-14-2010, 06:30 PM
Sounds like a grounding or noise problem to me. Make sure the machine is properly grounded and that the A/C lines are seperate from the control wires Maybe this will help.
I dont know about the 117 degrees but here in Minnesota its 91 and the humidity is around 85 % and my bot has no issues. Others on the forum will know better about how heat effects the bot.

JD

meatbal80
07-15-2010, 07:51 AM
Spoke to tech support and they said that the configuration of my controller (comp case looking one) and the drives could be causing a over heating issue. They said to but the controller case on its side rather than vertical so that the drives are not lined vertically. They also recommended that i remove the side panel to allow the heat to escape. It doesnt help that the these drives tend to be a little touchy with the heat. I just had enough time to reconfigure everything yesterday and we will see what happens when i try to run the cut file i had a problem with again today.

Does any one know what is "max" temp for the drives? I went out and got a IR temp gauge and want to try and see what temps i am getting.