PDA

View Full Version : Just starting out

cbcurtis
07-22-2010, 11:05 PM
I'm just starting out but here are a few of my first bot projects.

curtiss
07-22-2010, 11:33 PM
Very nice, but I am a bit confused how the three chairs fit into the hammock frame. :)

ssflyer
07-23-2010, 12:11 AM
Welcome Christian,

They look great! Did you design them, or did you download the files, like the Jake's chair? I made a couple of the Jake's chairs, and my customers loved them. Quick to cut, but PITA to assemble - at least the first couple of times! You are already hooked on what these machines can do - and it only gets worse! ;) I Love the fact that the chairs are large, but still really comfortable for smaller people!

Here's a picture of my first attempt at one of these:

gene
07-23-2010, 01:17 AM
Very Good, and the first post also. WOW I can tell there will be alot more to come. Keep on postin. Welcome to the club!

cbcurtis
07-25-2010, 01:28 PM
1 of the chairs I made by combining several designs that I've seen in magazines. The other 2 are modified jake chairs. I had limited cedar around, so had to work around that. My wife wanted the back angled further back, etc as well.

cbcurtis
07-27-2010, 08:38 PM
Here is a quick sign I made up for a friend's daughter's birthday party. Insulation foam.

Only had about 4 hours of working time, so is a bit rough imo. A good learning experience and she loved it.

cbcurtis
07-27-2010, 08:41 PM
Made this for father-in-law this weekend. 3/4" MDF. About a 25 minute cutting time. 1/4" downcutting bit.

Any ideas on sanding the mdf where you cut. It was pretty rough, and took a lot of time to get sanded to an acceptable level.

he did the painting.

ckurak
07-31-2010, 12:44 PM
I made a couple of the Jake's chairs, and my customers loved them. Quick to cut, but PITA to assemble - at least the first couple of times!
Christian,

Very nice work. Welcome! And, thanks for sharing. I look forward to seeing more photos.

Ron,

I found the plans for "Jake's Chair" online in what appears to be the original BMP and ZIP format. That shouldn't be too hard to convert into PW format.

I do have a few questions for you if you have a moment, please. Or if anyone else would like to answer as well.

What wood species are you using for your chairs?

What finish are you applying?

About how much assembly time is involved?

Thanks in advance,

ssflyer
08-01-2010, 02:26 PM
Charles,

I kind of cheated - I made mine out of 3/4" Baltic Birch plywood, so I could nest the pieces in the sheets. From what I understand, the standard material is cedar. I radiused all the exposed edges, and finished with water based spar urethane. The original is holding up great, on a deck in the weather. The first took a couple of hours to assemble. I used a v-bit to mark all the hole locations with a small dimple, instead of drilling on the 'Bot, because I wanted to be sure of the actual location, after I made some adjustments for the material. After the first one, it can be done in 30-45 minutes.

Hope this helps,
Ron

myxpykalix
08-01-2010, 05:23 PM
It seems as one of the first "elementary" shopbot files that beginners make is an adairondak chair. I have a few files for that but have never made one. After seeing Christians and Rons maybe i should get out there and make a couple. good job.

ckurak
08-01-2010, 06:34 PM
Hope this helps,
Ron
Yup! Sure does. :)

Thank you!

cbcurtis
08-23-2010, 10:24 PM
A few pictures of my latest project. Halloween theme - for uh, Halloween. Almost complete. I wrote software, and made the custom electronics also. Will post 1 more pic when finally complete.

myxpykalix
08-24-2010, 02:33 AM
Christian,

Not sure what software you are writing for this photobooth or what hardware you are going to have in it but what would be a GREAT halloween trick would be to have a monitor in the booth instructing your subjects to push a button to take a picture with a 3,2,1 countdown then have a picture like the exorcist pop up with screams and a second later the camera takes a picture of their reactions.....trick or treat suckers!

cbcurtis
11-12-2010, 09:33 PM
Here are a few pics of the finished photobooth

cbcurtis
11-12-2010, 09:36 PM
Here is a tunnel that I made for halloween on the bot. This a picture during testing. I have other pics with it running.

People walk over ramp as the tunnel revolves around them. Very disorienting, and quite a hit.

curtiss
11-12-2010, 09:54 PM
I think a 2 flute straight bit provides a smoother bottom than an end mill.

Lots to choose from....

http://www.grizzly.com/products/category.aspx?key=161400

myxpykalix
11-12-2010, 10:48 PM
Christian,
Most people start out small on the bot, obviously you didn't get the memo! How long did it take for you to come up with your tunnel and finish it? Very cool.