PDA

View Full Version : Can't have blank unit value

ssflyer
07-24-2010, 12:47 AM
Arghhh! I made a change in Tools|Setup to change the 0,0 location after running C3, and it seemed to lose its mind :mad: I tried running C3 after the change, and it first hit the prox switch, then proceeded to smack the physical stop... I changed the settings back, and it still did the same thing.

I closed the program, and now I can't open it - Several pop-ups appear stating, "Can't have blank Unit Value! Use [V]alues[Units] Command to fix!"

After hitting "OK" on 5 of these, I get a Run-time error 5 - Overflow, and it dies. I tried re-installing SB3, and it's still the same. I've check the shopbot.ini file, and it looks fine. I'm running out of ideas, anyone else have one? :eek:

Thanks,
Ron

Brady Watson
07-24-2010, 08:23 AM
You might want to try reloading the firmware. You can access the loader outside of SB3 by going to: C:\Program Files\ShopBot\ShopBot 3\ControlBoxLoader\LOAD_ControlBox.exe

-B

ssflyer
07-24-2010, 10:19 AM
Thanks Brady,

Now that doesn't work, either - the loader window opens, and does nothing. I checked the port, and it is correct, but all I get is an empty window. The update status button isn't even enabled. :eek:
Hmm - I just closed the loader window, and it tells me the firmware was updated, but there was absolutely no indication of it doing anything at all...

ssflyer
07-24-2010, 12:16 PM
Oops, forgot to turn turn the control box off and on for the firmware update. I updated the firmware, un-installed SB3, deleted all the shopbot.ini files and re-installed. Same problem. I did notice something interesting, though. There is no C:\All Users\Application Data\Shopbot directory. I tried copying it from my development box, but still no joy... :confused:

Ron

ssflyer
07-24-2010, 02:07 PM
Ha! I finally got it figured out! For some reason on this computer, it put the settings in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users.WINDOWS\Application Data\ShopBot, instead of "All Users" - I'm not even really sure how All Users.WINDOWS got there - probably something to do with this being my old software development box. :rolleyes:

The shopbot.ini file there had a bunch of blank values for the VU command.

Now, to what I was trying to originally accomplish - After running the C3 command, I'd like it to go to a pre-determined location for 0,0; apparently setting the distance between 0,0 and prox switches in setup is not the way to do it! :o I could simply edit the XYzero routine, but thought there should be a simple setting to do this. Is there?

Thanks

Brady Watson
07-24-2010, 06:48 PM
Ron,
There are many ways to accomplish what you are looking to do. My preferred way is to just create my own Cx command (C is for custom...not cookie, as we have been told!). I re-wrote the default C7 command to do a "J2, 24,12" to move my tool to the easiest place for me to change the bit. I also have modified the original C8 command to do a "JX,120" to get the tool out of my way when running production 4X8 sheets. The C commands make it easy to do quick custom commands without a lot of fuss.

Just don't mess with C2 or C3 and be careful what you modify higher up (like C7, C8 etc) if you are running a tool changer or air drill etc. I like using the custom commands (C9 and under - goes up to C99) because you can just type the C + one number & the command executes right away - no enter key. Also, you keep the C3 command as it was designed to eliminate any snafus along the way.

Your C9 file would only need one or two lines, depending on your Z position:

JZ,1
J2,12,12

Hopefully this all makes sense & works for you - If not, there are many more ways to do this - the simplest being just typing in where you want the tool to go directly!

-B

ssflyer
07-24-2010, 09:29 PM
Thanks Brady,

I changed 2 lines in the XYZero.sbp file (which C3 calls) and added a Z2 so it would set the working 0,0 without altering the base table coordinates, and it works fine calling it from C3 - however, I like your idea better. It avoids changing files that could be overwritten in software updates, and\or causing problems with other things down the line.

Thanks again.
Ron

Brady Watson
07-25-2010, 08:41 AM
No problem. Glad to help.

Don't be afraid to make the tool work for YOU! :)

-B