PDA

View Full Version : Control Board version.

nodnerb
08-18-2010, 01:59 PM
Hello. Just a quick question. How do I determine what control board version I have on my PRSalpha. I'm going to upgrade my control software and it says there are two versions for different control boards, but not how to determine which board we have.

Also, is there any special procedure to do, or firmware to update before updating the new control software?

Thanks.

Brady Watson
08-18-2010, 02:30 PM
There are 2 versions of the control card v201 which uses a USB to Serial converter & v204 which USB plugs directly into the card itself. The v20x card is the little processor card that you can see standing up on the control board. If you see a USB cable plugged into the little card, then you have a v204.

-B

nodnerb
08-18-2010, 03:26 PM
Ah. Ok. I have a 201 then. Thanks!!

Maybe this information should be on the control software page? Or maybe I'm just really really naive. Or maybe I missed it. :o

Brady Watson
08-18-2010, 04:29 PM
Usually when you install the software it prompts you at the end, asking if you want to install v204 drivers for tools that have shipped after Nov 2007 (If I recall the date right)

There are lots of little tidbits that are probably best asked here to the community. People probably would just ask here anyway if there was a bulletin or link to something like that.

-B

nodnerb
08-19-2010, 02:01 PM
Ok. Thanks for the help. However, I'm still a bit confused. We have a PRSAlpha that was ordered Feb 14/07. It appears to me that we would have the older control board because it requires the usb to serial connection. We have the stainless control box mounted to the shopbot frame. But on the update page it says this for the older model software, "For older PRT ShopBots that do not have PRSstandard or V4g Upgrades". Nothing about PRS and we haven't upgraded. I know ours was one of the very first PRS Alphas shipped so maybe it has the old board? Either way, sorry to seem like I need hand holding here, but do you know which software is for our prsalpha so I don't install the wrong one?

jerry_stanek
08-19-2010, 02:25 PM
Why not contact Shopbot and they should have your machine in their files and should be able to tell you what board you have

zeykr
08-19-2010, 05:10 PM
There is some confusion here. You have a PRS alpha, so you can run the latest software 3.6.20.

You all were discussing the version of the small control board that plugs into the big control system (alpha in your case). This little control board does not determine which software you can run. Alphas plus PRT'S and even PR's that have upgraded to the 4G control board run the latest software - 3.6.20. Machines with original 3G pr or prt controls have to run 3.4.27.

And yes, upload the firmware when you install the new version (3.6.20)

Brady Watson
08-19-2010, 05:42 PM
Alphas plus PRT'S and even PR's that have upgraded to the 4G control board run the latest software - 3.6.20. Machines with original 3G pr or prt controls have to run 3.4.27.

And yes, upload the firmware when you install the new version (3.6.20)

Ed Zachery :D

-B