PDA

View Full Version : 2 person recreational Canoe plans?

jhicks
07-05-2005, 07:26 PM
I am trying to find a plan to build for my daughter and her fiance. They plan to be wed next year so I probably can make that deadline IF I get started soon. Bill Youngs plan is a real possibility but its only 1 person. So far I find no 2 person plans anywhere. Does anyone have any plans or recommendations for such a project?
Thanks for any input.

billp
07-05-2005, 07:37 PM
Jerry,
Try; http://www.boat-links.com/boatlink.html
it may take you DAYS to get through this site, but it's the most comprehensive web site for links to boat plans, gadgets, etc.

bryan
07-05-2005, 09:04 PM
Jerry take a look at this site.

http://boatplans.dk/content.asp?DType=pricelist

It has a couple dxf files(free to download) of complete canoes, I found it a couple of days ago when a friend ask me if i cut him a canoe

and Bill I found your link at the same time and I was thinking more like weeks to get throught it

billp
07-05-2005, 10:52 PM
Jerry/Bryan,
One great solution for this, and a good exercise in boat design is to download a free copy of the program "Hulls". It starts with a series of existing boat styles, and then lets you manipulate each style to change the specs (longer, deeper, etc). Best part is that you can then "save"your work as a .dxf file, and cut it out of plywood. It may not be as accurate as Plyboats, or some of the other more expensive design software, but it's a GREAT way to make some scaled down models, and when you are happy, start a fleet of your own...
Gavin Atkins also has a great resource page for boat design links, including an excellent tutorial for using "Hulls"and converting your plans into an Autocad file. take a peek at; http://home.clara.net/gmatkin/design.htm

jhicks
07-06-2005, 09:03 AM
Thank you all. It looks like all thats left is to dig through the details, select one to experiment with that I can actually accomplish and make it float. Wouldn't want their maiden voyage to become a "sunken treasure"
As always, this forum is filled with a great community of helpful botters.

bleeth
07-06-2005, 09:08 AM
Jerry: Beware of the 10-10 syndrome
(ten months to build, ten minutes to sink).
Just kidding: There are so many old boat builders on this site if you have any questions along the way I'm sure you will be deluged with replies.

Dave

jhicks
07-06-2005, 09:28 AM
Thanks Dave, Heres the 1st of what I'm sure will be many questions.
I have downloaded the 2 DFX files from the site Bryan referred me to so I can look them over.
I agree it will take LOTS of TIME to review Bills but I will get there eventually. As I read their site it appears they are saying some details are missing but elsewhere on it they say they are ready to CNC cut?
I've e-mailed them to see what if anything is missing but is the general opinion that one can cut and construct from these plans or are they just for previewing purposes?

bleeth
07-06-2005, 02:56 PM
The dxf file I looked at for the 15 looks ok but one only finds out for sure when you cut and bend. I suggest whoever you go with you get the full package. You can always reduce it and cut a model out of thin ply first. As well as knowing which parts go with which, what to assemble first is a big part of the battle. Actually cutting out the sheets is the small part.
Just don't forget to program in your tabs in the toolpath.

jhicks
07-07-2005, 10:27 AM
I will no doubt spend the money on the full kit plans & instructions as you suggest once we determine which one to go with. As always a little bit of knowledge, advice and experience goes a long way only if you listen to it. I guess I've learned to ask and listen more as the best way to learn.
Thanks again