PDA

View Full Version : igs file?

coach
08-27-2010, 07:26 PM
customer wants me to do some cutting. their file is in igs. I told them I can use DXF. They sent me e mail with file attached. everytime I tried to open the DXF it just remains blank. I have opened a lot of DXF via e mail never had issue.
what is igs, can partworks use it?
if the DXF is remaining blank did they not send it in correct format?
Thanks for any help guys.
Dave

harold_weber
08-27-2010, 07:42 PM
Try Googling IGES (International Graphics Exchange Specification).

Unfortunately, even though this is supposed to be a global standard, there are variations in the format. Both Rhino and Design CAD will read igs files, and from there a dxf can be created. I cannot guarantee that your igs file will be correctly read, but I'll try it if you want.

coach
08-28-2010, 04:25 PM
Thank you Harold, customer is going to re send file plus they made changes. If they can't get it to me in DXF I will take you up on the offer.
But not for free. This customer has already told me not to pay for any tooling. He wants to pay for it, so the same will go for the file.
Thanks, I am supposed to hear by Monday.
Dave

Greybarn
09-03-2010, 01:14 PM
let me know if you need help with the IGES file. We use them all the time. We can export it as a 3D DXF or as an STL file. Whichever works better for you. Total time would only be about a half hour of work.
Regards
Peter