PDA

View Full Version : USB to Serial Adapter Failed Again

mike
09-02-2010, 08:31 PM
I posted in May that my computer was not communicating with the control box. Problem was the USB to Serial Adapter. I replaced the adapter. The same failure occurred this week. Both failures occurred after I tripped the 200 amp service to my shop. I was leaving town for a week, so I shut the power off to protect equipment from any power surges. The adapter is a TRIPP-LITE Model U209-000-R. My supplier reported the adapter is no longer manufactured. He is searching other sources for any inventory.

Has anyone else experienced this failure? Is there a substiute for the OEM adapter? I attempted to connect to my computer USB and directly to the control box USB, but software could not find port. I'm not a computer guy, so I may have messsed up. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

knight_toolworks
09-02-2010, 08:41 PM
I had mine get buggy. there are plenty out there
http://www.usbgear.com/USB-Serial.html

ken_rychlik
09-02-2010, 09:51 PM
I am running one from radio shack and have had no issues (knock on wood) with it. It was around 35 dollars and I had to use their cd for the drivers.

Did you leave your bot on when you cut the big switch?

I always cut power to my pc and controller at the end of each day.

mike
09-03-2010, 01:03 PM
Thanks for your immediate replies. I have ordered a replacement adapter. Yes...I shut down my bot and computer at the end of each day.

Thanks again.

johnnieb47
09-20-2010, 11:29 PM
I am also using a radioshack usb to serial port connector. working fine, just make sure you install drivers before attaching usb to serial connector.