PDA

View Full Version : X, Y, & Z Movements

gsmith
09-28-2010, 06:39 PM
Hello,

I have an Alpha with an HSD 2.2 HP spindle.

In the control box, starting from the right hand side and moving left, (diagram is label as such) Stepper Driver 1 has X1, Stepper Driver 2 has X2, Stepper Driver 3 has Z and Stepper Driver 4 has Y.

The Y and Z are reversed, but what driver do they go into? I haven't found any documentation yet.

Moved in the X Axis 96" on the computer, but only 70" of actual movement

Moved the Z Axis, which is really the Y, 48" on the computer, but only 44 3/4" of actual movement

Thoughts? Solutions?

ken_rychlik
09-28-2010, 07:27 PM
Greg, that is major progress.

A few days ago you couldn't get it to talk to your pc. :)

Tech support will sometimes call you back after hours if you leave a message.

It sounds like you may not have the correct machine selected in settings. Unit values may need to be changed, but without knowing what motors, gears, and all are on your machine we wouldn't know what numbers to give you.

If you type in VU with the software up it will show you what the unit values are.

Normally the two x drivers are first, the next driver is normally the y and the last driver z. i did say "normally" right?

Brady Watson
09-28-2010, 07:36 PM
Greg,
The Alpha drives are assigned to XXYZ starting from the right and going left. So when you open up your control box, and you are looking at the drivers, from left to right, the layout will be like this:

| Z | Y | X2 | X1 |

Swap the Z for Y, making sure that the white cable labeled 'Z' is in fact plugged into the 1st driver from the left. Y should be blue, then the X axes in red after that.

You should run the UR command and pick a machine configuration that is correct for your machine. This will alleviate the deviation in move distance you are experiencing.

-B

Gary Campbell
09-28-2010, 07:49 PM
Greg...
I think your unit values are off. From the keyboard [U] [R] and follow the prompts to retore default settings for your machine. If that does not get you accurate, you may need to call SB techs. They will need your machine model, maybe the control board numbers, the X,Y & Z motor numbers and the number of teeth on your pinions

gsmith
09-28-2010, 11:55 PM
Gentlemen,

Thank you for the quick replies. I switched the cables and reset the values. I did my first cut and had success after a few minor tweaks.

Ummm....I didn't realize or I forgot, but I only had 1 USB cable hooked up (Frequency Drive) and not the control box. I was able to talk to Frank from Tech Support and he help me with that problem.

Greg