PDA

View Full Version : Curved engraving needed.

countrycasual
11-03-2004, 01:27 PM
Hello,
I am posting on behalf of my company. We would like to engrave a bench (http://www.countrycasual.com/family.cfm/fid/4508) for a customer. Specifically, the top rail on the front side. We do not own the software to engrave on a curve. If you are interested in doing this engraving for us please contact Matt at 301-926-6895 x132. We compensate you for your time.
Thank you.

tomj
04-26-2005, 08:56 AM
I noticed this thread and was wondering if anyone had an answer to the initial question. I have been lurking and learning, but haven't run across any other threads on this subject. I just purchased a prt48 and I ran into a situation where I could apply curved engraving. Thanks in advance!

Tom Johnson

paco
04-26-2005, 10:34 AM
Hi Tom!

The question that came first to me is wheater this curve is in Z plane or X and/or Y?... As for engraving (text or else) on a curve on the Z plane, then you'll need to program in "3D"... as for engraving (anything) on a X and/or Y plane curve, then you can do this easily in about any "2D" CAD/CAM packages...

Are you looking to do something like this:

stickman
04-26-2005, 10:44 AM
Paco,

What software were you using to make that file?

Jay

paco
04-26-2005, 11:03 AM
Hey Jay!

I use ArtCAM Insignia... and that's V-carving with a 1/4" Ball end tool bit... for the text!

tomj
04-26-2005, 04:59 PM
That's what I'm looking for Paco! Sorry for not specifying wether the curve is on the x,y or z...although, I may be begging for some pointers on engraving on a curved surface after I learn a little more! (I've gotta remind myself-I have to walk before I can run)

Is the curved text on a flat surface possible to do in Parts Wizard or do I need to look at another CAM package?

Thanks again!

Tom

paco
04-26-2005, 06:32 PM
Tom,

I've just check PW 2 and you sure can; it just has fewer options.

Play some with this tool...

...and just ask if you've got question(s) and we'll help!

tomj
04-27-2005, 05:48 AM
Aha! I have v1.02 (I bought a used machine) I'm going to give the folks at Shopbot a call!

Thanks so much for all of the help...I'm sure I'll be back with more questions!

robtown
04-27-2005, 06:26 AM
You can achieve this in corel or illustrator or freehand if you have any of those layout programs.

btk
04-27-2005, 12:40 PM
On a similar note.
Does anyone know if Artcam Pro directly supports
v-carveing into a curved Z Plane/Surface )?

I have been making molds using Rhino/VM, however V-carve not directly supported. You are able to achieve using "Profiling" toolpath strategies.

As a seperate note, When using the above strategy to mill molds with curved surface with v-carved letters, machining the mold (as opposed to the part) gives better results when dealing with surfaces with smaller radii (or steep surface normal vectors)

billp
04-27-2005, 08:17 PM
BTK,
I believe what you are trying to do is called " feature engraving" in Artcam. It allows you to do carvings as raised, sunken, or centerlined onto a curved surface.