PDA

View Full Version : Standard life of router bits?

Blacknbart
10-06-2010, 02:22 PM
What is the standard life expectancy of most router bits cutting wood products(MDO, MDF) or plastic products(Acrylic, Sintra, HDU Sign Foam)?

Figuring out depreciation rates if there is some sort of monthly cost someone can give me that would help too. I know it would depend on the materials as well router bit, but just trying to get a clear picture.

Thanks everyone!

coach
10-08-2010, 06:13 PM
All the users have their favorite bits and suppliers. My acryllic and other sign bits last forever as I do not do a whole lot of that.
I am a cabinet shop and cut lots of plywood and put dadoes in the parts.
I use KRB bits. 760 247 7323. Free shipping on orders over 100.00.
They ship U.S. mail priority I get them next day. I use compression bits mostly 3/8". I got a free bit way back to test as did some other guys.
I cut over 90 sheets of plywood and only wrecked the bit cause I hit a screw.
I use the same bit for MDF, MDO, MDF. and particle board.
Hope it helps you a little. The number I gave you,,,,,they are very happy to answer questions.
Good luck.
Dave

dlcw
10-08-2010, 07:57 PM
I use the 3/8" and 1/4" diamond like coated (DLC) mortise compression bits for all of my MDF and plywood cutting. I do cabinetry (plywood) and MDF parts for a local company. The DLC bits last a LONG time. Like Dave said, >90 sheets of ply. For carving I use 1/2", 1/4" and 1/8" ballnose bits from Onsrud or Centurian and I'm still on my first set (2.5 years) with 1 sharpening. Results are still pretty good.

As far as a standard life, it pretty much is determined by the type of material you are cutting, how efficient the bit is cutting (sawdust or chips) and the quality of the bit. In this game you will get what you pay for.

I think each person the is a regular up here has experimented until they found the ideal combination's that work for them. You will need to do the same thing.

Blacknbart
10-08-2010, 09:49 PM
Thanks guys for the helpful information I will call the number and hit them up with some questions.

Cheers,

Bart

arouterman
12-22-2010, 12:27 AM
Don,

Thank you for using the DLC coated bits. I am retiring from the company after this month. Call or text me at 210-860-3001 to get a few extra bits. I will give you a very good deal. The company will not continue this project and no one knows how to coat the bits after I leave. Jerome

Gary Campbell
12-22-2010, 12:36 AM
Jerome...
There are many of us that will miss your coated bits. Sorry to see you go. (Hopefully you didnt retire on us!) ;)

pappybaynes
12-22-2010, 07:30 PM
Gary and all - try R & B Tool Supply - http://www.rbtoolsupply.com/ their Extended Life Series is great!

wberminio
12-22-2010, 07:50 PM
I second R&B Tool Supply! I received (2)Two 3/8dia mortise compression bits to try out.I have used them to cut MDF/ Maple ply/solid hardwoods/PVC
just about everything I was cutting.
1st bit just has started to get dull.Must have cut a least 90 sheets of ply.