PDA

View Full Version : Bad Rocker Switch

jimboy
10-11-2010, 01:54 PM
PRS Buddy with computer case control. I have a bad on/off switch on the front of the case. I have a replacement, but how do you remove the plastic front to get at the base of the switch? I have a email into ShopBot, but haven't heard back yet and I need to use the machine. Thanks

MogulTx
01-18-2011, 12:38 PM
James,

I have not looked at how to get the switch out yet, but I have the same issue. I no longer turn off my control box on my 4 x 8 because the switch is iffy. Where did you get the new switch? ShopBot?

I will try to look at mine tonight and see if I can see how it is supposed to come out.

Thanks,

Monty

jimboy
01-18-2011, 08:54 PM
Monty,
I started to take the case apart and changed my mind. My bot's switch was in the on position and I just tied it to an extra strip. I use that for a on/off. Your question on the switch type, shopbot told me any rocker on/off switch would work as long as amps and case size are the same (they suggested Radio Shack). To tell the truth, it just seem to be too big a hassle to replace the switch.

Jim S.

cowboy1296
02-03-2015, 07:24 AM
I realize that this is an old post. But how did you diagnose the faulty switch.

Brady Watson
02-03-2015, 07:51 AM
I realize that this is an old post. But how did you diagnose the faulty switch.

Use a multimeter & test for continuity with it unplugged from the wall. Red on one switch terminal; black on the other. The meters that beep are the best for this. I like this little one (http://www.radioshack.com/22-range-pocket-digital-multimeter/2200820.html) for general stuff. Avoid the HF freebie meter.

Wiring isn't all that complicated...It has more wires hanging off of it than you expect, because it has to switch BOTH the ATX 12/5vdc AND 48 or 63v power supplies.

I'm pretty sure that switch is made by Cherry. If you pull it out and carefully inspect it (then look again with magnifier to see what you missed), you can Google the part number. They are out there...

-B

Joe Porter
02-03-2015, 11:24 AM
http://www.digikey.com/product-search/en?lang=en&site=us&keywords=eg4777-nd&x=0&y=0 This was a direct replacement for mine (black computer case) hope this helps...joe

cowboy1296
02-03-2015, 11:38 AM
I am working with tech support now. Typical electrical, its got to be broke before you fix it. Next time it wont work i have 2 different things to check, the switch with a SLEDGE HAMMER or a sticking part.

jerry_stanek
02-04-2015, 11:58 AM
Mine broke along time ago so I plugged it into a power strip and also a a light bulb above my control computer to remind me to shut it down.

cowboy1296
02-18-2015, 08:52 AM
I opened the control box and lightly tapped on my switch and then opened and closed a relay (or whatever it is) to ensure that it was moving freely. Since then i have completed 2 lengthy 3-d carvings with no issues. It has to be gremlins.

paul_z
02-18-2015, 10:33 AM
It may be dust building up in the switch. Try blowing it out with compressed air.

Paul Z

cowboy1296
02-18-2015, 10:41 AM
Thanks Paul. Not sure how dust gets in the control box but it sure does. And yes i have blown it out 2-3 times since the issue raised it ugly head.