PDA

View Full Version : Would this work?

rww
10-12-2010, 09:58 PM
I have this motor and driver and was thinking of building a indexer. Is there any reason that this motor won't work? Or should I use something different?

donclifton
10-12-2010, 10:17 PM
Does the motor have a gear reducer? As the parts gets
larger the greater the need for higher gearing.
Don Clifton

rww
10-12-2010, 10:27 PM
I don't think so. But I am thinking of making a indexer with a rotary table like this one. Do you think it would work?

donclifton
10-13-2010, 01:10 PM
Yes, most of the indexers like the one your showing is geared 50:1. It should work very well.
Don Clifton

richards
10-13-2010, 07:23 PM
The rotary table that I have for my vertical mill has a lot of backlash. It would work as long as the direction didn't change, but as soon as the direction was reversed, I would have a significant error to deal with.

Since the table is manual, I can easily 'feel' the backlash and compensate, but an automated system would have to have backlash compensation.

blackhawk
10-14-2010, 10:25 AM
Jason -That motor would work fine. The matching drive is an ASD30E-A-B1 from Oriental.

I would suggest looking at this link: http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11532

I also looked at using a indexing table, but I was worried about the backlash as Mike mentioned. The index tables also have large gear ratios and this will limit you to low rpms. It would work out, but I went with the modified lathe route. With the lathe you already have a nice bed, tail stock, and all the correct threads and tapers for other attachments.