PDA

View Full Version : Com errors

alexS
10-19-2010, 02:18 PM
Hi,
on our prs standard, using win xp and the latest software, I keep having com errors strange enough mostly only in the area of the second half of the router (the one further away from the front).

MIT students told me it must be a grounding problem, but I did ground the computer, the motor unit, the exhaust system and all hoses to the shop bot.

Any Ideas what I could check?

I am sorry if that has been discussed several times, couldent find info on this

Any tips are very apprechiated

Best,

Alex

ken_rychlik
10-19-2010, 03:12 PM
try reading through some of these. This is just a search for comm error
http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/search.php?searchid=150164

dana_swift
10-19-2010, 07:18 PM
Comm errors are caused by the control PC becoming busy with some task that is taking too long to complete. When communication with the bot is interrupted for too long of time a comm error occurs.

Things that can do this are fast-search options, automatic software updates, etc. These things watch mouse and keyboard activity and determine that the computer "isnt busy" so they suddenly spring to life and start running. About the time the cut job is half way through. Then disaster..

The way to fix these, is to get rid of all necessary processes. Look at the startup menu folder for unnecessary programs and "helpful features" like toolbar and launch monitors. Then check the registry for auto run programs and be sure they are all really needed. (Turn off one at a time so you know what to restore if the computer really needed the setting.)

Lastly look at "services" under the Control Panel:Administrative Tools:Services. Most of these have been carefully named things that obscure their purpose. So look each name up on the internet and find out if it is essential, if not, try making it "manual", or "disabled". Once again do one and wait. Then do the next one the next day. Slowly the problem will go away, and your computer will have all this time available that was eaten by these hidden time hogs. Most of which are there for the benefit of others, not the user.

And a useful tool, download "process explorer" from "procexp.exe" from Microsoft, its a free download. Run it in the background where you can see it while the bot is running. It logs everything that starts and takes CPU time. You may be able to identify the culprit directly with that tool.

Grounds are extremely unlikely to be the problem. If the problem appears to go away "fixing the ground" gets the credit, when the process that took the time stopped running for some other reason.

Hope that helps-

D

Brady Watson
10-19-2010, 08:59 PM
Just to add to what Dana wrote:

Make sure of the following:

1) USB cable going to SB control box has not been extended. It should be no longer than 12 feet long total length.

2) The USB 2.0 4-port hub supplied by ShopBot should be plugged into your computer & the control box USB plugged into that.

3) Run the SpeedTest.exe program in C:/ProgramFiles/ShopBot/Diagnostics - See if you get at least a 70% rating.

-B

bigboxkurt
11-08-2010, 04:22 PM
I've been back and forth with SB on this very same issue for two days now, and I thought I had it licked...but sadly no. I've run all the tests suggested above (I have a 73.8 efficiency rating by the way), shut down anything in the computer that might remotely interfere with the control software AND grounded the hell out of the machine and dust collector.

I myself was convinced it was a grounding issue, because I ran lots and lots of air patterns, and the machine didn't fail in any of them. It only seems to fail when I'm cutting. In addition, it seems to only happen when I have a heavy chip load on the router, one pass profiles through 3/4 plywood are heavy for me, which seems like it would be static central no?

Not sure if anyone has anymore insight into the problem, but if they do I'd love to hear it.

bigboxkurt
11-08-2010, 04:29 PM
I was also thinking about it, and I upgraded to the newest SB control software, BUT I ran like 10 sheets of very intricately cut 1/2" MDF without a single error. SO I'm thinking it probably isn't a software thing. AND that was before I did all of my fine extra grounding...so go figure that one out...

ron_moorehead
11-12-2010, 04:52 PM
I find I get a lot of Com errors when the back of my shop (by the control box) gets above 75 degf. If I open the door on the control box and put a fan blowing into the box the Com errors goes away. Well summer is gone now and the shop won't get above 68 Degf until next summer now, so my problem will go away until next summer. Oh well. I did order the new interface card for my box.