PDA

View Full Version : B. Y. O. Tree

Gary Campbell
11-16-2010, 07:00 PM
Here is a project we completed a couple weeks back. It is an Oak Entertainment Center made from Oak ply and solid Oak. Interior partitions, backs, decks and shelves are Oak plywood. All exterior components are from solid Oak. You must open a door or reach behind the TV to touch a plywood component.

Both the solid oak and sheetgoods were cut using eCabs, the SB Link and our ATC machine. The ease of machining the solids, including drawers, was a pleasant surprise, with the simple addition of a tooling group that included settings suited for solids rather than sheetgoods.

Face frames, door frames and shelf edging were machined using conventional shop equipment. Counter top is solid 1" with a 1 1/2" Edge. There is a .600 relief carved panel installed in a center section that hides a foundation wall protrusion. This was designed and toolpathed by another ShopBotter and cut by us. Finish is SherWil Sherwood Hi Build Sealer and MR Lacquer.

We will complete the installation when the carpet and paneling is complete. We will also be installing a larger TV, which the unit was designed for, after Santa stops by at Christmas.

This project was completed using Oak from a tree cut by the homeowner on his property and air dried for a number of years. The sawyer obviously cut for quality rather than yield as most boards I saw were vertical grained with a good percentage of quartersawn. The stump was over 4' at knee height. I dont remember any of our Florida customers bring their own wood! Aint the UP great?!

One item of note: After a few months of getting used to and using our PRSalpha ATC machine, I am wondering how we ever did anything with a single tool. We currently have 9 tools in the "rack" and are in the process of making a 12 tool rotary changer. The machining ability of this tool allows us to both add more complex joinery and lower costs on cabinetry such as shown here. Both the value added and cost lowering aspects are much needed in this economy.

ken_rychlik
11-16-2010, 07:14 PM
Very nice work Gary.

dlcw
11-16-2010, 08:06 PM
After talking with you on several occasions about this project it is great to finally see it. You and your son did a fantastic job and I'll bet the customer is thrilled. :D

tom
11-16-2010, 08:21 PM
looks great, hey I had my wood delivered right to your shop :) hey what are ducks duing in the grouse house

Gary Campbell
11-16-2010, 08:35 PM
Ken...
Thanks It was a fun and learning project.

Don...
And I got thru it all!

Tom..
Not the Grouse house. Other side of the lake. His brother. Said he cut the tree down and saved it for me.

myxpykalix
11-16-2010, 09:06 PM
quality craftsmanship.....ANOTHER good project done!

kevin
11-17-2010, 06:46 AM
Its a unique style looks good
They are the the next big thing entertaiment units

wberminio
11-17-2010, 07:23 AM
Great work Gary!

Nice proportions and attention to details.

Any issues with the air dried lumber?

Gary Campbell
11-17-2010, 07:00 PM
Erminio...
I had a few pieces that wanted to curl after they were planed. A quick check with the meter showed that the MC was close to 10%. I gave th em back to the client and grabbed a few more, this time checking the MC before milling.

nat_wheatley
11-17-2010, 07:52 PM
Fantastic work, as usual, Gary.

michael_schwartz
11-18-2010, 04:55 PM
When fine furniture meets cabinetry all is well. Glad to see the new machine is working out for you.

srwtlc
11-18-2010, 07:35 PM
Very nice Gary! Simple and clean.

I just bought 1200 bd/ft of air dried oak that a local guy had cut from a bunch of butt logs. Gonna take me a while to use that all up, but I've got a dent in it (a small one).

Where in the UP are you located? Used to get up there often, but haven't in quite a while now. Porkies, Hancock Houghton, and Sault St. Marie.

Scott

jimboy
11-18-2010, 07:41 PM
Gary, Are you originally from the U.P.? I lived in Marquette for 17 yrs and in Ishpeming for 12 yrs. I was born in Saginaw and moved to the U.P when I was 12. How is business? and are you the only CNC in the area?
Best wishes with your business:)
P.S. I have enjoyed your many share pieces of knowledge. Keep sharing.

Gary Campbell
11-18-2010, 08:37 PM
Scott...
Right in the middle of your list, Marquette.

James...
Yes, not born here, but moved here before my teens. Business is slow. No we are not the only CNC in the area. There is a large cabinet mfgr (former brother in law) that has a big iron machine and cranks out melamine boxes. Good quality. A local sign shop has a small format machine. Thanks for the kind words.