PDA

View Full Version : What type of hose?

Unckdecamp
11-17-2010, 01:10 PM
This is my first post, so I would like to say hello to shopbot land!

Also, does anyone have a link to a site with some good hoses to use to attach to the dust skirt thingy? I have been searching, but to no avail.

Thanks in advance!

-Mark

curtiss
11-17-2010, 09:47 PM
These usually attach to the Shopbot thingy in some fashion.

Here or maybe Sears...

http://www.grizzly.com/products/searchresults.aspx?q=dust%20collector&new=1

wayne_walker
11-18-2010, 01:04 AM
Mark,

Curtiss has the right idea. I just received a flyer with an order from Grizzly and they had a great deal on vac hose. I will get the part numbers and prices when I get to the shop in the morning.

Wayne

jerry_stanek
11-18-2010, 06:03 AM
I hate to say this but when I first set up my PRS I bought a 25 foot length of 4 inch dryer hose from Home Depot to get me up and running till I found a good replacement. That was over a year ago and I am still using it and it still is in like new shape. One nice thing about it is I cut lots of pvc and I get no static off it like my other hose had.

Unckdecamp
11-18-2010, 09:01 AM
I think I am just going to be using a rigged up shop vac at the start....just to see how well it removes the dust.

I might go with the hose from home depot...how do I wrap the wire around it to make sure it gets rid of the static?

Thanks everyone!

-Mark

srwtlc
11-18-2010, 09:34 AM
Here are a couple of places....

http://www.wynnenv.com/

http://www.airhand.com/

jerry_stanek
11-18-2010, 09:35 AM
The hose I got is aluminum so there is no need to run an extra wire. You may want to build a Thien separator and put it before your shopvac. thet are real easy to build and mine works really great. I hardly get anything in my dust collector bag.

wayne_walker
11-18-2010, 03:19 PM
Mark,

The hose I mentioned is on a summer close out...

3" x 10' T23064 $4.95
4" x 10' T21346 $5.95
5" x 10' T23065 $6.95

While supplies lasts!!!

I just went on line and only the 6" is available. You might call them!?

Good Luck

Wayne

curtiss
11-18-2010, 04:25 PM
You will want a bare copper wire, usually stranded (not solid) "inside the hose" to handle static. (From the dust foot to the vacuum)

It will have to exit at the vac unit and be tied into a good ground in some manner.

A typical light duty shopvac will wear out pretty quickly if run for hours...

You might find a vacuum on Craigslist.

jerry_stanek
11-18-2010, 06:37 PM
I have a harbor freight 1 hp portable unit with a Thien separator that I made hooked up to my old PR . Works good

Unckdecamp
11-19-2010, 09:51 PM
Thank you to everyone for your suggestions....

I am going to try and figure it out!

dhunt
06-04-2011, 03:41 PM
You will want a bare copper wire, usually stranded (not solid) "inside the hose" to handle static.
(From the dust foot to the vacuum)

It will have to exit at the vac unit and be tied into a good ground in some manner. We just re-did ours,
skinning off quite a few more feet of insulation, in continuation of what was already bared.

We now have about 15 ft. of bare copper wound around the outside of our 9-10?ft. length of 4 in. vac hose
starting from the upper end of the dust-foot's 'upright'
and ending where the tubing disappears into the PVC vacuum tubing, up in the ceiling.

I made darned sure the wire stays in close contact with the tubing
by winding it tightly around and in some of the corrugations
and then taping those tight windings in place, every 16 ins. or so
to make sure they stay there!

Result: we get no static in our air-conditioned Shopbot room.

I also took the length of vac.hose off the machine
and washed it thoroughly inside and out
-the first time that's happened in ten years!:eek:

You shoulda seen the red-brown water that came off it!
Can't help but think that too helped with static reduction..