PDA

View Full Version : Some Cedar Signs

kartracer63
11-22-2010, 12:14 PM
Here are some of the cedar signs I've been making.

kartracer63
11-22-2010, 12:17 PM
and here are some more signs.

kartracer63
11-22-2010, 12:19 PM
I've always wanted to do a bank job. The customer loved their new slab signs.

kartracer63
11-22-2010, 12:24 PM
Here are some more completed signs.

srwtlc
11-22-2010, 05:40 PM
Lookin' good Eric!

I just realized that you're from New Auburn. Or N'Auburn. ;) I lived in Bloomer for several years so I know the area well, or at least I used to.

Scott

gc3
11-22-2010, 07:50 PM
Eric,

Nice work! Thanks for posting. :D

gene
11-22-2010, 11:25 PM
Very nice work. Are the stained ones done on cedar ?

blackhawk
11-23-2010, 09:39 AM
Erik - Those look good. How have you been getting your name out there to people? I have been trying to do similar style cedar signs in my area for over a year, but I have only sold two.

kartracer63
11-23-2010, 12:05 PM
Thanks guys,

These are all made from cedar. After they are carved, I spray on the black stencil ink. After about 5 minutes of dry time on the ink, I sand down the surface. Then I apply a coat of Cabot's "Australian Timber Oil". I use the "natural" finish and it seems to bring out the look I like.

Brad,
I get the word out several different ways. But, I've received more orders from my Craigslist ads than anything else. I put together a website from a "Go Daddy" template for like $10 or so. I've also got several orders through retail sellers. I've set up deals with a few rustic furniture and decor shops in the area, which happen to have the perfect customers for these types of signs. I've also had a few orders from word-of-mouth.
I always have some business cards with me, and hand them out any chance I get.
I, also, live in the heart of cabin and lake home country... which doesn't hurt. There are a ton of potential customers all around me.

pappybaynes
11-23-2010, 12:50 PM
Eric,
check your email - I sent you a message yesterday.
Thanks

kartracer63
12-20-2010, 12:32 PM
Here are a few more completed signs. It's getting a little harder to find an easy place to shoot a snapshot with all of the snow we've been getting here.

srwtlc
12-20-2010, 01:21 PM
Lookin' good Eric.

More snow on the way too!

joe
12-20-2010, 08:05 PM
Eric,

I also complement you on the fine looking signs. Your techniques and concepts are top notch. It would seem to me there is a large market for your work.

Have you reviewed other signs like yours being offered on the web? How do you think they are on pricing?

Joe
www.normansignco.com (http://www.normansignco.com)

dlcw
12-22-2010, 04:14 PM
Eric, you have a PM.

kartracer63
12-22-2010, 08:08 PM
Thanks Scott. I think we have plenty of snow now. They can turn it off any time now.

Joe, Thanks, to you too. You can't imagine how much it means to have you compliment "little 'ole me" on my signs. You made my day!
I have compared my signs to ones I've found on the internet and I'd say I'm priced about in the middle of the pack. There are certainly some nice looking signs out there. But, cabin (or lake home) owners really like that rustic, north woods look. I'm really lucky to be living in an area that has tons of potential customers.
I, also, have some competition in the area. My signs look much nicer (in my opinion) than both of my competitors nearby. I'm the highest price locally, but still very affordable for most customers.
Most important, I'm really having fun making these little signs. And... I really love that I have never had an unhappy customer.
Thanks again for the compliment. Have a very Merry Christmas.

wberminio
12-22-2010, 08:19 PM
Eric
It would be easy to make these signs look "hokey"-
But yours have a certain elegance and sophistication .

Nice job

joe
12-23-2010, 12:48 PM
I agree with Erminio with respect to the pleasant visual affect. I'd like to point out one successful technique Eric has used.

That technique is adjusting letters, within a word, both up and down as well as rotation. Computer set letters often look dull. By freely moving his lettering within a line of copy he's memicked the old hand drawn lettering. Sign makers who use a free hand router have bouncy letters but they often look hooky. Those of us with computers can imitate just about any old technique.

Eric has choosen excellent lettery styles. Some have more body which make them easily read from a distance. By mixing up router bits and font styles on a singl panel is very attractive..

He's a gifted artist.

Joe.

wberminio
12-23-2010, 12:56 PM
Thanks for the explanation, Joe

I knew there was something special about them.

burchbot
12-25-2010, 12:55 PM
I like them. Rustic signs that don’t look all that rustic I think they would go well here in the U.P. of MI. All your signs have an element in them that makes you take a closer look at it. Well done.
How does the finish hold up outdoors?
Dan

navigator7
12-26-2010, 10:41 AM
I, also, live in the heart of cabin and lake home country... which doesn't hurt. There are a ton of potential customers all around me.

I too live in the heart of cabin and lake country....with a few sage brush thrown in. What attracted me to post was your comment: "There are a ton of potential customers all around me."

You have said a mouthful. I love it! Am I free to steal your words?
I may even carve them into a beam in my shop!
The proper attitude exudes a rare scent customers pick up on.
I smell it and it smells good!
Passion, desire, faith, and a positive attitude put a patina on a product.
Talk about content for a potential sign!

My question for you is.....Sunlight.
Where is live, virtually nothing survives very long in a pristine mint like condition.
How long do you expect your signs to last?

kartracer63
12-27-2010, 01:45 PM
Thanks again Joe, Erminio, Dan and Chuck.

I'm not sure how long the finish will last on these signs out in the elements. (I've been making these signs for less than a year) The information provided on the can of "Australian Timber Oil" says that the finish is good for two years before recoating will be needed.
So, I've told my customers that they should expect to put another coat of oil on every two years. Nobody seems to have a problem with that. Nor do they expect that the sign will last forever. I hope they don't last forever... I'd like to have my customers come back and order another sign in several years. At this price, they can afford to replace their worn out and weathered signs from time to time.
I'm glad my words have inspired you Chuck. You may help yourself to any or all of them.

kartracer63
01-20-2011, 04:23 PM
I made "Pablo's Pub" for a good friend of mine. It's for his basement bar.

The deer sign is actually the Browning (guns) logo. Browning calls this logo their "Buckmark". They actually encourage people to make things using their "Buckmark" and submit photos to their "Show us your Buckmark" contest. If you look at this logo, you'll see the black portion is a buck with a nice antler rack... and inside the black buck is a doe. I think it's pretty cool.

I made the crescent moon for the bathroom door in our new log home.

myxpykalix
01-20-2011, 07:11 PM
Eric I looked at the pictures before i read the post and saw the buck picture and said "what the f#%@ is that?" then i read the post went back and looked again and saw it exactly. Very cool stuff.

kartracer63
01-21-2011, 01:52 PM
That's funny Jack. Some people can see the Buck right away. Some people only see the doe. Some people see both and some people don't see anything until it's pointed out to them.

Here are "Men" and "Women" signs that I made for a popular local restaurant. They've had the cardboard "men" sign taped to that door since we moved to the area in late August. About a month ago, I asked the owner if he'd be interested in having me make him a couple of nice carved wood signs for the restroom doors. I gave him a crazy low price for the both of them ($30.00 for both, I had my reasons). I even told him I'd take payment in the form of a gift card and spend the money at his restaurant. He said "Well, I don't know... let me think about it".

I walked out of the place thinking "what a tight wad". Are you kidding me... you need to think about $30.00 for two carved signs to replace the cardboard sign that's currently displayed?

Long story, I know. So, had a little down time and wanted to try doing a couple signs with the texturing (which I hadn't tried yet). I decided to just go ahead and make the signs for the restroom doors. Either he'll want them or he won't. They turned out nice and I brought them in to show him. He loved them. I installed them on his doors while I was there and he's thinking of other sign ideas now that he's seen how nice the signs look.

bleeth
01-21-2011, 01:59 PM
Good way to push a lead! You get practice, exposure, and possibly work. As Professor Joe says: "samples, samples, samples!!"

kartracer63
01-24-2011, 05:29 PM
I made the 19th hole sign for a local customer with a little golf hole on his property. This is a huge improvement over the sign he had made himself.

The log shaped sign was ordered from a customer from Canada. My first international order. She ordered this sign as a gift for her friend that runs a animal rescue.

kartracer63
02-28-2011, 04:16 PM
Here are a few more signs I've made lately.

kartracer63
03-08-2011, 04:11 PM
Here's another paddle sign I did the other day. I like how the "J" in Jean almost looks like a fish hook.

kartracer63
03-08-2011, 04:17 PM
I made this sign for the entryway at one of my favorite restaurants. Gilligan's has a couple of literature racks just inside their entrance where they help advertise area attractions and businesses.

I gave them a super good deal on the sign in exchange for allowing me to carve my website address on their sign. They'll also let me have the best slots for my flyers.

cabindoors
03-08-2011, 04:20 PM
Excellent idea Eric! Great job on the design also. Very attractive.

kartracer63
04-05-2011, 03:06 PM
Here are a few more signs carved recently.

kartracer63
05-18-2011, 05:22 PM
Here's the sign I made for our bunkhouse. Three bears represents our 3 daughters.

kartracer63
05-18-2011, 05:27 PM
The AxeHandle Retreat sign has the customer's lake carved into sign.

"Be-at-Ease" is the name of another customer's cabin / retreat.

wberminio
05-18-2011, 05:34 PM
Eric
I just love you work!

kartracer63
05-19-2011, 09:30 PM
Thanks Erminio!

kartracer63
05-25-2011, 03:33 PM
Here are some more signs.

wberminio
05-25-2011, 04:00 PM
Keep 'em coming!

kartracer63
05-26-2011, 11:59 AM
These five signs were made as display signs for a retail store that I signed up to sell my "Custom Carved Signs". The store specializes in selling cabin furnishings and decor. They're a perfect outlet for some of my signs.

kartracer63
05-26-2011, 12:01 PM
This is a sign I made to hang above the display signs I made for the retail store.

kartracer63
05-31-2011, 12:12 PM
Here are a few more signs I've made lately.

myxpykalix
05-31-2011, 02:11 PM
Eric with all this work, you're a sign making machine! No wait, thats the shopbot!:) Good job.

backyard_cnc
06-19-2011, 01:43 AM
Eric,

I am wondering about the cedar you use for these great signs. I wonder what I should be looking for to find a local source. Also I wonder if you might comment on your process to achieve such consistent results.

Appreciate your comments

Gerald

navigator7
06-19-2011, 09:42 AM
Eric,

I like the "art" you incorporate into your signs.
Great balance, Earthy, user friendly ... Your signs pass on ease and comfort to the viewer. 'Welcoming' is a better word.
Your signs reminds me of my favorite Looney Tunes cartoon graphics and the most excellent fonts they used to get laughs. Here is an example:

http://www.rankopedia.com/CandidatePix/53663.gif

What is your favorite font?

(And no...I'm not calling anybody names!;-)

kartracer63
06-19-2011, 12:12 PM
Chuck,

Thanks for the kind words. I'd have to say my three favorite fonts for these signs would be "SF Comic Script", "Black Chancery" and "Art Brush".
Of course, each sign requires individualism and all fonts should be considered possible candidates based on what the sign says and the personality of my customers.

Gerald,

I simply use 1x12 cedar from the big box stores for most of my signs. My standard sign measures 10¼" x 22". If they're looking for a bigger sign, I'll glue up some cedar decking to get the desired size.
Although, I've recently established a relationship with a local saw mill and plan on getting all of my lumber from them in the future.

As far as the finish... I use a stencil ink for all the painted areas of the signs. I just use the stencil ink in the spray can. It dries quickly and I just sand the sign surface to get rid of the undesired overspray with an orbital sander. Finally, I spray on a coat of Cabot's "Australian Timber Oil" (Natural).

backyard_cnc
06-19-2011, 11:59 PM
Eric,

Thanks for sharing the info on wood and your technique for painting. I'll check at the local big box lumber store for the cedar. I wonder about speeds and feeds you use and depth of cut? How is cutter life with cedar?

I use a similar painting idea with aluminium plaques I have done. Once machined I paint the whole face and then once the paint drys, I use wet/dry paper to clean up the face leaving nice crisply painted pockets. The any color you want as long as it's black worked for Henry Ford so you may be wise to stick with it. Heres a sample of a paper weight I did for a friend who has the car. The plaque is about 4" long

Gerald

Greencarvings
06-24-2011, 10:15 AM
Erick,
If you don't mind where are you getting these graphics. Using Google image search for line drawings most are too many lines and the tear out is horrendous in cedar.

bleeth
06-24-2011, 01:27 PM
"Vector Art" collections available from SB are great for that kind of thing.
All images are clean vectors ready for import.

Greencarvings
06-24-2011, 02:21 PM
I have the vector art Mega collection. However a lot of the art is too "busy" with fine lines for carving in a cabin sign. The tear out causes one to lose the fine detail. Even with sanding to 120 and hardening with a coat of 1lb cut of shellac.

bleeth
06-24-2011, 02:29 PM
You can always reduce the number of lines in the Art if you like the image but it is too busy. I have used them rather then any kind of v carving simply cutting on vector a specified depth with a v bit and they look and work quite well.

kartracer63
06-27-2011, 03:31 PM
Here's another one.

blackhawk
07-01-2011, 09:59 AM
I am a copy cat! Thanks for all the info Eric.

myxpykalix
07-02-2011, 12:10 AM
"Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery":D

kartracer63
07-02-2011, 07:36 AM
Looks Great Brad !!!

kartracer63
07-28-2011, 04:38 PM
Here are a few more signs completed lately.

adana
07-29-2011, 11:02 AM
Eric,

These are very impressive. They look great, and have a great variety of appearances despite the similar "structure."

Some questions...

-Do you have a favorite paint brand? Is UV resistance important for the paint and/or finish?

-How do you avoid issues with the abrasive gumming up when sanding off the paint? (or have I assumed incorrectly that's how you do this effect?)

-If it's not too impolite to ask, roughly how much are you able to charge for these? Say, for a 8" x 20" sign with "normal" amounts of engraving detail.

Again, excellent work, very inspirational. Thanks for sharing!

-Adan

kartracer63
07-29-2011, 04:26 PM
Hi Adan,

Thanks for the compliments!

I think I went over some of the product I use and my technique earlier in this thread. In a nut shell, I use "Marsh" brand stencil ink for the black and Cabot's "Australian Timber Oil" for the finish. If you try to sand too quickly before the ink is dry, you'll get some gumming of the sanding disk. Also, applying too much pressure to the sander will cause some gumming too.

You might want to check out the case study Vectric just did.
http://www.vectric.com/WebSite/Vectric/vcp/vcp_case_custom_carved_signs.html?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Vectric+Newsletter+-+Issue+20+-+July+2011&utm_content=Vectric+Newsletter+-+Issue+20+-+July+2011+Preview+CID_6ad8681d4604d3bb142281eaf7c 3f3a7&utm_source=Campaign+Monitor+Jan+11&utm_term=Custom+Carved+Signs

adana
07-29-2011, 05:28 PM
Hi Eric,

Somehow I managed to completely miss a page of the thread, but I see it now... thanks for the repetition. The case study is great!

I'll grab some of that stencil ink and see how it goes. Sounds like good stuff.

Thanks for all this generous sharing of information. Design, technique, marketing, energy, it's all exceptional.

Adan

CNYDWW
07-30-2011, 02:10 AM
I'm going to start a new thread about the ink itself that you're using. Instead of just adding to this post it would be nice to start anew.

sped1530
07-31-2011, 09:33 PM
Great signs. I was wondering if you could share what bits you use, and how deep you cut to get such a great look? How do you keep the cedar from splintering?

Dave

kartracer63
08-04-2011, 02:54 PM
David,

The 3 bits I use for almost everything I do is the 60 & 90 degree ½" diameter V-bit, and a ¼" downcut spiral bit. Specifically, I use the Centurian V-bits and the Onsrud downcut spiral that came with my starter bit set.
Cedar seems to carve a little fuzzy. Sometimes I'll carve a file twice if it's really bad. But, keep in mind, the signs I make are supposed to be rustic looking. So, a little imperfection is acceptable to me. I tend to have a much slower feed rate than most would recommend here and I spin the router a lot faster than most here would as well.

kartracer63
08-04-2011, 02:55 PM
Here are a few more signs to share with you.

kartracer63
08-09-2011, 01:13 PM
Here are a couple more signs.

kurt_rose
08-09-2011, 02:47 PM
Hey Eric. Great looking signs. I've been thinking of doing a few of these and trying to get the local campgrounds to put them in there stores. How did you build your clients and if you don't mind what are you charging for your average V-carved sign. I'm sure if they let me put a display in there stores they will want to profit a bit also. I'm just trying to see if it would be feasible in my market. Thanks for the inspiration.

sped1530
08-13-2011, 12:33 AM
Chuck,

Thanks for the kind words. I'd have to say my three favorite fonts for these signs would be "SF Comic Script", "Black Chancery" and "Art Brush".
Of course, each sign requires individualism and all fonts should be considered possible candidates based on what the sign says and the personality of my customers.

Gerald,

I simply use 1x12 cedar from the big box stores for most of my signs. My standard sign measures 10¼" x 22". If they're looking for a bigger sign, I'll glue up some cedar decking to get the desired size.
Although, I've recently established a relationship with a local saw mill and plan on getting all of my lumber from them in the future.

As far as the finish... I use a stencil ink for all the painted areas of the signs. I just use the stencil ink in the spray can. It dries quickly and I just sand the sign surface to get rid of the undesired overspray with an orbital sander. Finally, I spray on a coat of Cabot's "Australian Timber Oil" (Natural).

How do you get your different fonts in, I can't seem to paste text from Word or any text to vcarve.

Dave

srwtlc
08-13-2011, 01:56 PM
Dave, what program are you using? If you're using PartWorks, it will use any font that is on your computer. Use one of the two text tools on the drawing tab under "Create Vectors". If you don't have the font's mentioned on your computer, you would need to find, download, and install them on your computer. Numerous ways to install fonts, right click or open and there should be an install option or drag/drop into C:\Windows\fonts.

Pasting text from another program isn't supported.

All the fonts that Eric mentioned are here for free.... http://www.dafont.com/

sped1530
08-17-2011, 11:36 PM
Chuck,

How do you handle the text style if you use vcarve you have a choice true type
or single line. Having a little trouble getting it right got any advice. If you under stand what I'm talking about. The font you use comic sans ms I can't get in the single line.

Dave

hh_woodworking
08-18-2011, 11:14 AM
It doesn't have to be single line font. Using the v carve command the font line and depth is defined by the space between the lines

kartracer63
08-31-2011, 04:31 PM
Here's a few more signs.

kartracer63
09-09-2011, 06:03 PM
Here are a few more signs shippped out today.

kartracer63
10-10-2011, 07:10 PM
Here's a sign I made for a memorial playground. It measures 94" x 19", and had to be crated for truck shipment. It'll be mounted to a couple posts and hang over the top of the boardwalk entering the playground area.

Kemosabe62
10-10-2011, 07:44 PM
Eric, I am always waiting to see your latest sign/s. They are great. Can I ask, what bits you used to do this particular sign.

Anthony

kartracer63
10-11-2011, 10:33 AM
Thanks Anthony!

This one was actually pretty easy for bit selection for me. All of the carving was done with a Centurion 1/2" V-bit (90 degree) and it was cut out with a 1/4" down-spiral (1/4" per pass).

At the Midwest Shopbot Camp, Gary Campbell showed me a couple larger V-bits that I'll be ordering shortly. I would've saved a bit of time on this sign with a larger diameter bit for sure.

jimboy
10-11-2011, 10:56 AM
Eric you are a very busy person. I always enjoy looking at your work
Jim

kartracer63
10-18-2011, 06:36 PM
Here's a few more signs completed lately.

jimboy
10-18-2011, 10:25 PM
Eric, what type of cedar do you use?
Jim

kartracer63
10-25-2011, 01:54 PM
James,

I'm just using a western red cedar from the big box stores for most of these.

kartracer63
10-25-2011, 01:56 PM
Here's one that got shipped out.

danhamm
10-25-2011, 02:26 PM
Yes, those flowers are nice.. sorry couldn't help it Eric..lol
the signs good to.

kartracer63
10-29-2011, 03:24 PM
Here's a couple more signs completed.

navigator7
10-30-2011, 09:05 AM
What have you to say about "Word of Mouth", Eric?
Do you find that each customer becomes a happy salesman for you?

kartracer63
11-28-2011, 12:33 PM
Chuck,

Oddly enough, most of my customers ask for business cards to give to their friends, but I rarely end up hearing from any of them. I would say, I've had 3 sign orders (at the most) as a result of word-of-mouth.

I'm getting more and more random hits on my website via google searches.

kartracer63
11-28-2011, 12:35 PM
Here's a few more to share.

navigator7
11-28-2011, 01:10 PM
Chuck,

..... I would say, I've had 3 sign orders (at the most) as a result of word-of-mouth.

Do your signs have your number or website carved in the bottom or back side?

kartracer63
11-28-2011, 01:21 PM
Chuck,

Every sign and cribbage board I make, gets branded before it leaves.

mjindustry
11-30-2011, 03:05 PM
Eric,
The signs and cribbage boards look great! :)

How do you apply the stamp on the back?

myxpykalix
11-30-2011, 09:42 PM
i think i read somewhere that it is a branding iron he burns on....i'd hate to be a cow on his ranch!:eek:

kartracer63
12-01-2011, 03:00 PM
Thanks Melissa!

Jack's correct... I have an electric branding iron.

I bought it from here: http://brandingirons.com/

Bob Eustace
12-01-2011, 09:06 PM
Hi Eric

A tiny thing that can make a difference is you forgot to plonk your phone number on your branding iron. Brands are darned easy to make on the Bot. All you need is a chunk of brass and a 150/200 watt electric soldering iron you do lovely work!

Bob

dlcw
12-01-2011, 09:14 PM
Bob,

Does the 150/200 watt soldering iron take long to heat up the chunk of bass? I'm interested in making a branding iron. I don't have the $200+ to purchase custom one. Besides I'd like to make it uniquely mine. Thanks!

t_vandemark
12-02-2011, 06:36 PM
Don, I have a very similar iron which was purchased through Lee Valley Tools. And it was only around $120 (i think) and it takes about 15min to heat up to the point where i can make a decent burn in the back of the stuff i make. i rarely use it because by the time i think to plug it in, i never feel like sitting around to wait for it to heat up and then to find a place away from anything flamable, children, dogs (Great Dane. So needs to be HIGH up) to let it cool down. But it is a very nice touch when used.

ssflyer
12-02-2011, 07:43 PM
Heat them with a propane torch -fast, and works well!

butch
12-03-2011, 11:21 AM
I bought a 3 line branding iron a few years ago. It only takes about a minute to heat with a propane torch. I bought it from Rockler http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=700&filter=branding%20iron
for around $100. I had to flatten it a little with a file, but works great. If I am doing several items I use a electric, but if only one or two then I heat with a torch. Although I admit on most items like signs, taxidermy supplies and cribbage boards, I carve my logo and the Made-In-Montana logo right into the back of the item. I prefer the torch heated iron - reminds me of branding calves: And most of the stuff I build doesn't kick.

bleeth
12-03-2011, 06:20 PM
"most?" I want to see what you carve that does kick!

kartracer63
12-09-2011, 12:43 PM
For all of you who have been following this thread and have tried the Cabot's "Australian Timber Oil" I've recommended... there are at least two different products using the same label.

I started out making these signs with the Cabot's product when I lived in Minnesota. After moving to Wisconsin, I found my new local suppliers for the various products I needed. I purchased some "Australian Timber Oil" from a local store and have been using it for the last couple months.
IT'S **** !!! It takes forever to dry, if it ever dries at all on some boards. It remains tacky on all of the knots. It's just pure junk!

I thought I bought a "old" can, or maybe a "bad" batch, because the product I was using from my Minnesota supplier was so AWESOME, and this can was pure ****!

So... I finally had enough, and called the consumer hotline on the side of the can. Long story shortened... it's two DIFFERENT products. The labels are identical with the exception of the product number and the upc number.

Apparently, Wisconsin is a "low V.O.C. state". So, they make a different product for Wisconsin than they do for Minnesota and some other states.
There is absolutely NO indication on the can that would differentiate the two formulas, with the exception of the small product number. Everything else is identical.

Who would have known...

The good stuff from Minnesota has a product number of #3400.

The **** from Wisconsin has a product number of #9400.

zeykr
12-09-2011, 02:51 PM
I had found that timber oil did not last terribly long on my outdoor signs when I tried it several years ago, and quickly abandoned it. I'll have to go look and see which type I had.

kartracer63
12-19-2011, 12:56 PM
This is a "fish shaped" sign I made for a customer's carved bear to hold.

kartracer63
12-29-2011, 04:50 PM
Here are a few signs that were recently shipped out.

knight_toolworks
12-29-2011, 05:02 PM
here is the first large solid wood sign I have made.
http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s266/knighttoolworks/posting/400D48A4.jpg

Rick W
12-29-2011, 06:32 PM
How big is the sign Steve? Cedar I presume. Nice job, I like it.

Rik

mtylerfl
12-29-2011, 08:18 PM
Steve,

That really does look great! Excellent work.

knight_toolworks
12-29-2011, 08:33 PM
it is about 86x37 I think. They brought me the blank it was cedar just screwed together from the back. I spent more time trying to find matching fonts and finally just came close.
I used a 3/4" ballnose for the texture and it only took about 1.5 hours to cut the texture and a little over 30 minutes to vcarve the letters and flowers and run a bit around the main letters to clean it up. I did a full size mdf one just to make sure and have a sample between the two of them it took 4.5 hours to cut both and an hour to draw it.
I keep forgetting if you are just trimming an edge (the blank was full size and I just rounded the corners) use a climb cut way too much tear out otherwise.

I charged 400 for this job and we both were happy and I have a full size sample to put up somewhere.

joe
12-30-2011, 07:50 AM
It's been a long time since I googled "Redwood Signs" and am amazed at the number of ads. One of them that caught my eye was http://www.carvingblock.com/ their prices are posted too.

Another older sign suppliers is "Lewis". www.lewisredwood.com. They can take your project from start to finish. I've seen a couple of their jobs and I'd give them a "B-". The blasting was very shallow but all else was good. If you don't have the equipment for experience they would be a safe way to get the job done Three weeks is their lead time.

Joe Crumley
www.normansignco.com.

kartracer63
12-30-2011, 11:26 AM
That's a nice looking sign Steve, and thanks for the links Joe.

Here are a few more signs I shipped out recently.

stump
12-30-2011, 11:45 AM
Eric,

They look good as always. I noticed the color on the 4th sign. Is that something new?

Rick W
12-30-2011, 01:05 PM
Eric,

How many signs do you make???? You must be a busy guy.

I've had my buddy 48 for about 10 months and not sold a thing.
(haven't really done any marketing yet though). Time to start.

Rik

Rick W
12-30-2011, 01:13 PM
Hey Steve,

If they screwed the sign from the back, how thick is the sign and how long

are the screws?? :eek:

Rik

stump
12-30-2011, 01:28 PM
Eric,

How many signs do you make???? You must be a busy guy.

I've had my buddy 48 for about 10 months and not sold a thing.
(haven't really done any marketing yet though). Time to start.

Rik

Sounds like a New Years Resolution to me. Maybe something like "I will try to sell 1/2 as many signs as Eric posts on the board" would be a good start. :D

knight_toolworks
12-30-2011, 06:00 PM
Hey Steve,

If they screwed the sign from the back, how thick is the sign and how long

are the screws?? :eek:

Rik
I worried about that. I only cut .29 deep and the material was 1.5" thick.

kartracer63
12-31-2011, 11:53 AM
Here's some more that were shipped out.

kartracer63
01-10-2012, 01:48 PM
Here are a few more signs shipped out.

geneb
01-12-2012, 05:47 PM
Eric, how are you holding the sign blanks down? Cam clamps?

tnx.

g.

kartracer63
01-13-2012, 04:19 PM
Gene,

I use David Buchsbaum's Cam Clamps (http://welcometothesandbox.com/).

I've been using them since day 1, and they're still as good as the day I bought them.

kartracer63
01-13-2012, 04:22 PM
Here are some more signs shipped out.

geneb
01-13-2012, 04:32 PM
I've got a set of those myself - awesome product.

Do you cut out the sign perimeter with tabs, or just v-carve the perimeter and cut it out using a band saw?

tnx!

g.

David Iannone
01-14-2012, 03:48 PM
Eric,
Where do you get your wood blanks from?

geneb
01-16-2012, 11:04 AM
I think he mentioned that he was getting them from a big box store, but is now getting them from a local mill.

g.

kartracer63
01-24-2012, 02:47 PM
Here's a few more signs.

kartracer63
02-16-2012, 11:52 AM
Here's a few more signs that were shipped out recently.

myxpykalix
02-16-2012, 02:28 PM
Eric
You must be doing pretty good with your sign business. Since you joined in 2009 I'm sure you have posted hundreds of pictures. Good for you:D

kartracer63
02-28-2012, 05:32 PM
Here are a few more signs.

michael_schwartz
02-28-2012, 05:46 PM
Keep up the hard work :cool:

sped1530
02-29-2012, 12:57 PM
How do you price your work Eric? Signs and Cribbage boards. I made a couple of cribbage boards and signs but have no way of knowing a fair price for them.

dave

kartracer63
03-14-2012, 05:29 PM
David,

Charge whatever they're willing to pay. You need to make a good hourly rate in order to justify owning the equipment. Keep in mind, you'll need to pay for supplies too. Router bits, paint, finish, sand paper, wood, heat, electricity, any advertising costs, etc...

Holy cow, I think I must be making $5.00/hour.

Good luck!

kartracer63
03-14-2012, 05:34 PM
Here's a few more signs shipped out.

The "Hines" sign was carved on both sides. One sign... not two.

kartracer63
03-16-2012, 11:28 AM
Here are some more signs shipped out.

chiloquinruss
03-16-2012, 03:32 PM
I like the 'Hines' sign the best. Very clever 'end of the log' detail, I like it! Russ

kartracer63
03-18-2012, 12:47 PM
Thanks Russ!

I'm pretty happy with the way my "Log" sign looks.

David Iannone
03-22-2012, 11:18 PM
Eric,
Your Signs are great. You use clipart blended with the typstyels perfectly. I live in LaGrange, GA right on West Point Lake. I think I might be able to market these types of signs in my area. What are your 5 favorite typstyles you us on these signs? And do you mind if I use your sign layouts as samples?
Thanks,
Dave

pkirby
03-23-2012, 11:09 AM
Eric,
The signs are looking great! Also, I remember from the camp last year at Gary's that you said you found a cardboard box supplier that was cheaper than Uline and I can't remember who it was. Do you mind posting their website or contact info? Thanks.

kartracer63
03-23-2012, 11:24 AM
David,

Thanks for the compliments on my signs.

But, being as I'm marketing my signs nationwide, I'd prefer if you didn't copy my designs or layouts.

I share my sign making experiences with the ShopBot forum community freely because there are so many other folks sharing their experiences too. Like others, I freely share set-up information, feed rates and types of bits used, etc. I've shared the type of paint and finish I've found to work the best, and I've even shared some of my marketing ideas that have worked well for me. I share this information with the forum because they inspire me to be better at what I'm doing, not because I want people copying what I'm doing.

I'm not the first to be making the carved "Welcome to the Cabin" signs. There are tons of folks making these small, affordable, personalized wood signs. But, I tried as hard as I could to make mine look as different from the rest as I could. I want my signs to have a unique look to them if possible.

Hopefully, some of the information I've shared has helped others with projects they've been working on. I'm very happy that I've inspired you to try your hand at making some small signs. There's plenty of business out there for everyone. But, please don't copy me. Thanks.

David Iannone
03-24-2012, 09:01 PM
Eric,
I didn't realize you were shipping your signs nationwide. (Although it does make sense since the volume you post would be a lot for one local area.) I was just thinking of droping off a carved sample to the local marinas here in my town and leaving some business cards.

I by no means was trying to step on your toes. I do appritiate the info and techniques you have shared, your signs definately do have a very unique look to them. I have picked up a wealth of knowledge over the years from being a fellow botter and reading over the forum.

I won't copy your designs, I will come up with my own. Keep up the good work.

kartracer63
03-25-2012, 01:04 PM
Five different signs shipped to five different states.
(NH,NY,NC,TX and WI)

kartracer63
04-03-2012, 08:39 PM
I made this mirror for our bathroom. We live in a log timber home. The mirror fits right in with the rest of the decor. My wife loved it!

myxpykalix
04-03-2012, 09:13 PM
looks like it was made special just for your house......wait, it was!:D

EddieM
05-24-2012, 02:50 AM
Hi Eric

This is Ed we talked on the phone a few months back i was in MO working on things.

I did get my CNC took some time and i am working on everything.
I have a ?

I have been using a Ryobi hand belt sander and the ink gets the sand paper messed up fast and i am not getting good results using it.

Wanted to ask what disc sander are you using?

Also have you tried using a planer in place of the sander for this?
I posted this in another site and many seem to think this would maybe be the way to get the top surface down fast and even but i do not have one to test it out.

I am looking into ordering some of the wood hold downs you posted a link to.

Have you ever used Sikkens cedar log cabin finish for the signs?
I have read a lot of good reviews about that.

Thanks

Ed