PDA

View Full Version : Test Results

Gary Campbell
11-25-2010, 08:05 PM
Guys...
This sign was the result of postP testing. I was verifying multiple depth files with multiple bits and changes. I intentionally mis-ordered the toolpaths to force more toolchanges than required to test accuracy. Material is 5/4 local Red Oak. Sign is 11 by 44.

I was using my latest version of the zshift post with VCPro. Please note that this file uses 6 bits, and I forced 8 toolchanges. A z-zero plate was not used. Bit is offset by the postP from bed zero (all by VO offsets)
< 10 min to cut. > 30min to texture

Toolpaths:
Vcarve lettering top
3/8 M Comp pocket around letters .5 deep
1/4 down sp pocket around letters .5 deep
Vcarve lettering bottom
1/2 ballnose around recess
1/8 taper BN texture recess around letters
1/2 ballnose around outside
3/8 Comp outside profile

Finish:
Sand 180 & wirebrush texture
4-5 coats sealer (dry overnite)
Sand & wirebrush
stain all (dry 1 hr)
Burnish stain from top surface
use random scraper on texture
3 coats finish

dlcw
11-25-2010, 11:36 PM
Nice sign Gary! I thought you were CaseWorks Manf., not G.Campbell & Son. Company name change? Good for you!

tom
11-26-2010, 07:51 AM
Looks great no palm trees or sail fish on this one lol, and i bet you wouldn't have that many tool changes if you were using the old girl:)

michael_schwartz
11-26-2010, 09:58 AM
Nice looking sign. What type of stain and sealer did you use?

Gary Campbell
11-26-2010, 05:23 PM
Don...
No name change. This is a inhouse sample. I was copying a sign I saw and I like this text better than the CaseWorxMfg.

Tom...
Maybe not, but there wouldnt have been as many as those wainscot door & draw fronts we did for you!

Michael...
Sherwil HiBuild laq sanding sealer. MLCampbell Woodsong ll spray stain. I used the sealer as topcoats also.

gc3
11-26-2010, 05:28 PM
Nice job on the sign and the finish ain't bad either! :D Thanks for posting

loriny
11-27-2010, 09:50 AM
Good work. That is a very nice sign. It appears the toolchanger works very well.
I hope you are enjoying your first winter back in the snow.
Lorin

tracys
11-30-2010, 05:17 PM
I've tried making a sign with the textured background but I can't get the texture close enough to the letters to make it look good. I offset a line around the text so the bit doesn't hit the letters. What kind of toolpath are you using the get the detail at the edge of the letters.

oddcoach
11-30-2010, 05:40 PM
Very nice Gary

Gary Campbell
11-30-2010, 07:55 PM
Tracy...
I wanted to use my .125 ballnose... but VCPro didnt like that bit. So I lied and told it (VCPro) that the bit was straight. I used an .080 offset from letters, border etc. And did a few tests of the Vtexture that was in there. It didnt take long to get it into something I liked.

lrheimpel
12-01-2010, 10:59 PM
Nice job, beautiful sign!

cabnet636
12-02-2010, 06:51 AM
i would say that was a successful test!

mikeb
12-15-2010, 07:52 PM
Hey Gary, When I was employed by someone else, I belonged to a union, it was called the carpenters and joiners of America, is that a typo in your sign{jointers}? It looks great, just thought the wording might not be right!
Mike

Gary Campbell
12-15-2010, 08:12 PM
Mike....
As a former member of the brotherhood...(70's). Yes it is a typo. The tool on my floor is a jointer. The guy that fits the wood is a joiner. You are the only one that noticed. Either online or in person. :D I almost got away with it!

And for those who wonder, and definately from the days when it mattered, carpenters did the wood framing before the plasterers covered the stud walls, joiners fit the woodwork after they were done.

wberminio
12-15-2010, 08:40 PM
Gary

When I went for SB training, Ted Hall told me every Shopbotter eventually becomes a sign maker.
I have to say he was right in your case!

Not a bad way to make a few $$$ either.;)

mikeb
12-15-2010, 09:00 PM
Was a member for about 12 years starting in the 80 s,got alot of training then, very thankfull ,the union helped me to get where I am today! MIke