PDA

View Full Version : Extended X Rails

Gary Campbell
11-27-2010, 08:22 PM
Guys...
Here are a few pics of our latest mod to our ATC machine. We have a project coming up that will require machining a number of tenons off the -X end of the table. Since the 96" machine with an ATC configuration has very little extra X travel to spare, we decided to lengthen the X rails.

I knew we needed a minimum of 3" on the left (-X) end and while we were at it we added 4" to the right (+X) end for a total of 7 inches. This was accomplished by adding a 7" piece of X extrusion, hardened rail, and rail mounting block. We added about 13-14" of rack gear to facilitate mounting. Once the rail was extended, we used a pipe clamp to move the X rails 3" in the -X direction.

This of course, mandated total realignment, leveling and shimming of both X rails. Since I was this far in, I moved the ATC tool holder bar back 4" and up 3". I also built a new Zzero fixed plate and mounted it to the table board instead of on the tool bar, which is the OEM mounting location. This would have to be moved later when we install the 12 tool rotary carousel.

Parts were obtained from ShopBot, McMaster, local hardware store and my stock. All machining done in house. This could be advantageous for those wanting to put in an indexer bay or add fixtures that the OEM rail length wont allow.

frank134
11-27-2010, 10:22 PM
Hi Gary.... did you just give shopbot the length you needed and they cut it. That being the x extrusion 80/20, the hardened rail and the rack gear.

Anyway It look like a nice job. you alway trying to improve

Gary Campbell
11-27-2010, 10:54 PM
Frank...
No, I did all the cutting, drilling, tapping. They provided the right parts in generic, but ample lengths. BTW the extrusion is Bosch-Rexroth, not 8020.

david_white
12-04-2010, 02:26 PM
Hi Gary,
This is something I have been thinking of as well .
Can you tell me what parts you got from sb and mm and how much they cost.
I was considering calling sb but was not sure what to ask for .
Thanks for the great post.

Dave

Gary Campbell
12-04-2010, 05:46 PM
David...
I will get with SB next week and see what the "official" answer is to your questions.

In other words, they way I have done something may not be the way that, for liability reasons, they can approve. I can assume there is no liability for parts sales, but I dont know if they stock these parts or I got "stuff" out of the scrap bin.

Are you comfortable doing your own machining, or would you require a "bolt on" kit?

david_white
12-04-2010, 07:16 PM
Thanks for the reply Gary .The milling of the parts is not a problem for me any info you can give me would be great .

Thanks Dave

wberminio
12-05-2010, 08:38 AM
Gary

Great mod as usual.
I've been thinking of extending my x end also to simplify more work off the x axis.

A "bolt on kit" would simplify my life.

Thanks for posting

bob_s
12-05-2010, 08:49 AM
I hesitate to type this, as this discussion thread could go down hill really fast, but:
Add me as another in the "desiring extended length group"

That's nice work as always Gary!
Thanks

david_white
12-05-2010, 09:27 PM
lets face it all us 96x48ers have 60x120 envey.

Gary Campbell
12-06-2010, 12:19 AM
Guys...
I have an email into the crew at SB requesting info on:
If they have these parts (in stock)
If they wish to sell a retro kit to extend the PRS
and if so, how much the parts Kit would be.
with or without machining would be their option.

If parts are available, and if their current production requirements do not allow the cutting and/or machining of the parts, I will offer to make a number of these for the short term, until they can get specs into their normal supply chain. This assumes a positive reaction on the part of SB.

It may help if those interested that have not expressed an interest in an extension kit, would do so.

myxpykalix
12-06-2010, 09:04 AM
Following Bob's suggestion of "desiring extended length group" (no, i'm not going there...) I have a 60x120 table and I have easily 12" on top and bottom after the mdf spoilboard and one of the things (besides a toolchanger) I could see room for is a place in the center of the table well below table Zzero, an indexer to spin a round table skirt to either 3d relief carve or vcarve around a large diameter.

ken_rychlik
12-06-2010, 09:40 AM
Gary,

Did you have to machine the end of the main rail also?

If the main X rails are not perfect on the end, that could be an issue. I know it's not critical, as it is just a tool holder for you, but I'm sure there are folks who will want to exted and do cutting. That could be a problem I would think.

Sometimes I wish I had a bigger "tool" also, and other times getting parts off of this 4x8 is enough of a reach. Considering I would put the main cutting edge on a 5x10 machine to one side, I would have an extra foot to streach and retrieve parts from one side. My old back doesn't like that idea. :confused:

bleeth
12-06-2010, 09:58 AM
Ken:
I cannot picture a practical way to extend and use the extension as a longer cutting length unless you replaced the x rail with a longer one at the same time. There is no way that a short piece of x rail added to the the end of an original will not result in a "tick" when the wheels go over it. You would see this in your parts. Since it is hardened steel I don't think you could weld it on and then grind the weld effectively either. Putting a cross mounted in line tool changing rack or an indexer there seems to be the only practical advantages of adding a series of short extensions to each component of the rails.

ken_rychlik
12-06-2010, 10:17 AM
I agree Dave, but I think it will only be a matter of time before someone tries it. :eek:

Gary Campbell
12-06-2010, 08:52 PM
Kenneth...
Dave is exactly spot on. There is a slightly audible tick when pushing by hand. Not noticable under power. I shimmed as well as I could (+/- .0025) and then ran diamond hone over joint. I still wouldnt try to do anything more than sheet cutting over that section. No worries as I only access the toolchanger rack on that section.

I did not have to do anything to the existing rails or extrusions. The facory cuts were fine. It did take some .010 shims under the pieces on the slider when I cut the extrusion to get them to match up perfectly. I was happy how they turned out, nearly invisible joints. (extrusions) the rail mounting blocks were left .030 short to make sure the rails themselves would be tight.

frank134
12-06-2010, 10:28 PM
gary when you buy a new atc machine how much extra track do they give you? Or is the track the same as if you bought a mtc machine?
Also I wanted to ask. when you added the felt to clean the track. did you cut out the felt for the wheel to fit around the felt or just place the felt in front of the wheel?

Gary Campbell
12-06-2010, 11:32 PM
Frank...
The machine I have is the PRS ATC demo machine from ShopBots back room. It has the standard rail length. I am not sure what the current ATC machines are shipping with.

I cut the felt to fit around the wheels and cut a v notch in the bottom for better contact with the V rail.

frank134
12-06-2010, 11:47 PM
Thank Gary

dlcw
02-05-2011, 02:25 PM
Gary,

Did Shopbot ever get back to you on how/if they could provide the parts necessary to do this as an optional add-on to crazy Shopbotters like me?

Gary Campbell
02-06-2011, 04:28 PM
Don...
I received an email that stated that the new ATC machines may get longer rails, and that they were not sure they would offer a retro kit. Havent heard anything since.

Its only been a few months... barely time to sneeze in ShopBot years :D