PDA

View Full Version : weight and size limitations?

God's Girl
11-28-2010, 11:53 PM
OK, after reading as many posts on the indexer as I have time.... I'm feeling a little guilty for planning on "just purchasing" the SB indexer rather than building one myself for significantly less $$. We are getting ready to order my SB this week and are (were?) going to order the 6" indexer. Our concern is over what it can handle. I will be eventually making posts for antique-style four-poster beds = 6 or so feet long, but wonder about oak or mosquite = dense, heavy stuff! What is the heaviest/largest pieces you all have turned/indexed? Really don't want to spend an extra few thousand on the 12" indexer to get the "whole different ball game" motor.
Also, is this really, really complicated? Are there any classes on it? It looks like an amazingly cool tool (greatly less dangerous than my Nova lathe! just a little operater error a few times:eek:), but I haven't found much out there on it or from it. Or is it just the price that keeps everybody at bay?
marquittta

myxpykalix
11-29-2010, 02:49 AM
I have turned a solid oak column 8' long x 12" wide and one of pine with no issues. I did do a toolpath to shave off the the square corners first. Most of the ones i have made since have been hollow. With my setup I haven't had any problems although i don't make columns everyday.

I think you will find that in the long run you will find it easier to just make a hollow column. The other experiences i have had making smaller solid columns is that eventually they will crack on you unless you laminate boards together.

I had a old oak tree cut down and took it to my buddys sawmill, we cut it, let it dry for a year, then put it in the kiln and let it dry for a good while and it still cracked.

You also need to be aware not to use the "pith" of the tree (center) because i have NEVER not had one crack that was from the center.

My indexer is from Shopbot and I just have not had any issues or problems with it. Sure you could probably build one cheaper but when I bought mine i knew nothing about them so it was like plug and play.

God's Girl
11-29-2010, 07:51 PM
Mr. Jarvis,
Thank you for your response. It sounds like you have the 12" indexer...? I wonder if the 6 incher would handle that. When you say "laminate" do you mean simply glueing 3 or 4 boards together to create your square column? For some reason (high school shop, maybe) I thought you had to! Although, my husband says he would have just cut out an 8x8 on the mill, dried it, and gone for it. So, here's what may be a slightly embarrassing question... how do you hollow out a solid column? Never heard of doing that; although, it does make pretty good sense. I still would "laminate;" to afraid NOT to. Do you know anyone with a 6" indexer? I know where one is, but he hasn't used it, yet.
mw

myxpykalix
11-29-2010, 10:07 PM
Mr. Jarvis,
Thank you for your response. It sounds like you have the 12" indexer...? I wonder if the 6 incher would handle that.

No, I have a 6" indexer however if you look at my table setup you will understand how i can make larger columns.

When you say "laminate" do you mean simply glueing 3 or 4 boards together to create your square column?

yes

For some reason (high school shop, maybe) I thought you had to! Although, my husband says he would have just cut out an 8x8 on the mill, dried it, and gone for it. So, here's what may be a slightly embarrassing question... how do you hollow out a solid column?

With a very long drill bit! lol See the pictures posted where i took a large core box bit and made a trough down the center of a piece that was twice the length of the column i wanted to make. Then i cut it in half and laid one piece on top of the other. I realize you will have to do it a bit different to make a larger hole but i think you get the idea.

Gary Campbell
11-29-2010, 11:37 PM
Marquitta...
If you are fairly careful about centering and truing your blank the limits would be that of RPM. In other words if you do not rotate at a high speed you should be able to work a piece the full diameter that your indexer can handle and the length of your machine. Be especially carefull until the blank has been trued on the indexer as it could be severly out of balance til then.

God's Girl
11-30-2010, 09:36 PM
OK, that's easier than I was coming up with! Thank you for the hints and pics. My camera and I may have to visit the Jarvis Bot! It's so funny: I still think in terms of doing everything by hand, i.e., hollowing the column sides with an air tool rather than on the SB.
mw

jdervin
11-30-2010, 10:17 PM
Jack--

How are you mounting a hollowed blank on the point at the tailstock end?

myxpykalix
12-01-2010, 02:14 AM
Here is how i do it on the headstock end. On the tailstock i just draw my lines for center make a divit and use a live center in the tailstock. Because it doesn't turn as fast as on a lathe you really don't have to worry about burning or enlarging the hole.

Here is one jig i made for the end of a hollow column, these other pics show a "plug" i inserted in the bottom and top. I cut it out after milling and cut 1/4 off this column for a 90 degree corner.

God's Girl
12-07-2010, 11:45 AM
OK, another blonde moment: I was told by SB that the 6 inch indexer can do up to 9 inches. Concerned over the size of the columns my husband has been showing me pics of... I called again and asked: What's the gantry? How can I make a 6" indexer carve a 12 inch column? Then we discovered I have always said "diameter" when they have been talking "radius." Is this true: The 9 inches about which SB speaks is the RADIUS? So I could really carve (if the table were right) a piece 18 inches in DIAMETER (assuming I was starting with a round piece).

Communication: been tricky since week one.

kubotaman
12-07-2010, 01:25 PM
They are talking diameter. I have a 12" indexer and because of my table I can only max out at 14" even though it is quite capable of more. You also have to realize I have the 12" axis.