PDA

View Full Version : Cutting 4x8 sheets for furniture, ie: race car beds, chests, etc.

paparoger@hotmail.com
05-24-2002, 10:14 AM
I own a couple of furniture stores and I was thinking of manufacturing some of my own merchandise. I'd like to use a shopbot to cut the panel parts required for things like chests, beds, entertainment units, headboards, etc., from melamine chipboard, MDF, wood veneered plywood and solid soft/hardwoods.

Would a shopbot do this, and if so, do it well? I like the idea of making furniture components exactly the same every time and then having only to assemble and finish them. I guess I'd like to make the same type of components you would have if you bought a RTA (ready to assemble) entertainment unit at Walmart.

Thanks

Roger
paparoger@hotmail.com (mailto:paparoger@hotmail.com)

shuttle
05-24-2002, 02:17 PM
It is ideal for this sort of work, I have done a rocking horse and a rocking chair (among other things) The tabbing feature lets you leave the pieces attached to the sheet until you need them.

david allen
05-29-2002, 05:33 PM
Roger,

you may want to try your designs out with a local 'botter. in addition, once you get the files figured out, you could send them out to a number of machines to be cut in parallel or on demand. the cut parts could then be shipped to you for final painting and assembly.