PDA

View Full Version : Project Wizard

handh
03-18-2007, 04:54 PM
I was wondering why not much work has been done with the project wizard at ShopBot. It seems to be such a great idea but not much has happened to it. I know when I was at the Jamboree last year I remember some talk about getting this going more.

bill.young
03-18-2007, 08:22 PM
Hi Jeff,

Progress has indeed been awfully slow with Project Wizard but there are lots of things going on in the background. The biggest thing is that we're re-writing it so that it's much more web-based, so that it won't require a large download and will be more easily accessible. Which has the potential to open it up to non-ShopBotters as well, potentially creating lots of cutting opportunities for ShopBotters.

There's a little better description of this "vision" at http://projectwizard.blogspot.com/

Bill

harryball
03-18-2007, 09:02 PM
Good things mature slowly... for example, at the rate I'm "maturing" I should be phenomenal in a few hundred years.

The Project Wizard concept is great, but I do agree the downloading and installing is somewhat of a put off. Web based would be fantastic.

It would also a neat idea to create a "New ShopBotter Package" of very safe first files and incorporate them into the Project Wizard introductory experience. The projects should be something useful and as safe as possible to start cutting and learning. I must have carved the shopbot logo 20 times on some foam just getting the feel of her. I had no idea how to do anything else and I didn't want to spend time learning to create things to then learn to cut while I had this new shiney blue thing in the shop.

My first step was to try and obtain working files and cut them... I went straight to Project Wizard. I didn't need saw horses... so I gave them away :-) What I really wanted was something to gain experience without running an entire sheet. I found it by creating an address marker and making addresses for everybody and their brother. I could get 64 on a sheet of 3/4" MDF and I learned a lot by editing the address and cutting that simple shape over and over.

Robert

handh
03-18-2007, 09:37 PM
That sounds good Bill, look forward for the new look.

don_roy
08-05-2007, 02:01 PM
SBRACER

JUST DOWNLOADED THIS PROGRAM FOR MY GRAND KITS.
WHILE CUTTING THE FIRST RACER I RELIZED THERE WAS AN OOPS!IN THE PROGRAM.
THERE SHOULD BE A "MZ.&ZUP" JUST BEFORE LINE 60
'J2 ,10.925,0.225'
MIGHT SAVE SOMEONE'S BODY AND WHEEL!

THANKS FOR THE GREAT PROGRAM. I'M SURE MY GRAND KIDS AND I WILL HAVE A GREAT TIME.

bill.young
08-06-2007, 06:03 AM
Hey Donald,

That section of the Racer file cuts the rear axle groove in 2 passes, and the 'J2 ,10.925,0.225' command moves diagonally through the middle of the groove after the first pass to the start point of the second pass. It should be moving through material that's already been cut and shouldn't cut into any of the other pieces....did it do something different than that when you ran it?

FYI, There is a updated version of the racer file that adds things like the SO commands to turn a spindle on and off and is a little more optimized...it's the version we cut at the Jamboree. It'll be in the racer download when the Web version of the Project Wizard goes live...it's in limited beta now and will be live soon.

Bill

don_roy
08-06-2007, 06:14 AM
Sorry Bill,
I downloaded mine from the current project wizzard. I did have to make two edits and I thought I would pass it on. I probably picked the wrong place for the &zup or probably had a bad download. I will compare my edited copy with the down loaded copy.
thanks for the reply Bill

don_roy
08-06-2007, 07:47 PM
well Bill Y.
after checking thing out you were right. there is nothing wrong with the sbracer file. somehow my data must have gotten corrupt.
Sorry for the fuss.
Don