PDA

View Full Version : First Shot at an Edge Lit Sign

feinddj
01-24-2011, 12:57 PM
This is my first attempt at an edge lit sign. Size is about 38 by 19 in 5/8 acryllic. Does anyone have a suggestion on tool marks on the pocket paths? I am going to try a raster at an angle next time. The flash on my camera is not friendly to this kind of photo.

knight_toolworks
01-24-2011, 01:57 PM
are you using a upcut? you want a lot of stepover and it looks best if you cut it from the back.

plemon
01-24-2011, 04:14 PM
The sign looks good but the tooling marks are noticeable (though besides cnc people I don't know if others would see it as a detraction). Use a big bit for pocket clearance and a small step over. Plumb your z nice and square and raster the pocket clearance along the axis that gives the least tooling marks (though the design in this case may reduce the effectiveness). Does acryllic sand well for polishing out the tooling marks? If it does, then nothing beats a bit of fine finishing. I've got similar issues on carved wooden doors but I'm not adjusting my cutter plumb till I'm finished and am instead sanding with a mouse sander and dremel for the tighter bits.

feinddj
01-24-2011, 04:38 PM
phil,

That's what I thought as well. I was using a 3/16th straight because I didn't want to change bits for the smaller letters. Price of being lazy. I also was experimenting with depth vrs visibility.

Steve,

I have just cut some smaller, less involved signs that are cut from the back. I definitely agree that they look better from the back.

72VET
01-25-2011, 01:01 PM
I worked for a company that did a lot of acrylic work. "Flame polishing" was a technique that was typically employed especially on edge finishing. It works very well with a bit of sanding first.

feinddj
01-25-2011, 06:26 PM
I am still playing with techniques and bits. This is a small piece about 5 by 5. Cut with a 60 degree v bit.

ATX Poly Products
01-25-2011, 08:06 PM
That looks really nice!

This post and a few others have inspired me to give a shot at this method...

My father is a John Deere fan and I think I will do a little something for his birthday coming up...

Nice job!