PDA

View Full Version : Comm issues

Mike Windsor
02-02-2011, 07:33 AM
Things were going so well with my 4 G upgrade until I hit the comm error impass . --Grounded everything to everything ---didn't do the lightning rod ground though ---the grounds to cold here . --If shut the machine down , leave for a few hours , then come back and try it again everything is fine untill I use the Z zero or one of my normally open limit switches ---then the machine is basically imobilized with com errors . ---Is there any magic setting for how to set the switch inputs that helps ?

seana
02-02-2011, 11:07 AM
Mike,
Not sure if this will help but you say you grounded everything together.
Make sure the dust collector ground is isolated from the bot.
I would suggest a bare wire or what ever system works for you or others in the dust hose but does not make contact with the bot but is grounded to the dust collector.
Other wise i have found that it creates a ground loop.

HOpe this helps, if nothing else something else to try.

Sean

Mike Windsor
02-02-2011, 11:43 AM
is grounded seperately -I haven't turned on the router yet ---still dont trust the tool . ---I installed software version 3.5.1 and it is more stable , but the problem is definitely tied to the switches . once either switch 1 or 3 is hit its a definite comm shutdown . ---Thanks for the suggestion though .

ken_rychlik
02-02-2011, 11:52 AM
Mike,

3.5.1 is from a LONG time ago.

I would suggest upgrading to at least 3.6.18.
Then do a proper firmware upgrade where you cycle the controller off and on at the right time. (if you don't see the progress bar it didn't happen)

Then see where you are at.

ron_moorehead
02-02-2011, 12:08 PM
One thing that has help my ShopBot is to put it on a UPS. I was running about 75 % on the speed test and once I put in on a UPS it went up to 85%, the other would be to try a diffrent outlet than the one you currently have your compter plug into. Also make sure you have a USB hub between your computer and the shopbot controller.

Mike Windsor
02-02-2011, 01:07 PM
for the suggestions . --I haven't tried a usb hub yet --on my way out to get one . I may get a ups while I'm at it . --As far as the software goes I thought version 3.6.*.* was to deal with the ecabs link ? --I've been using my shopbot for 12 years now and until now only upgraded the software from dos to windows when I got the PRT control box . ---until now . --Murphys 2nd law : ---If you fix something long enough you'll eventually bust it .

ken_rychlik
02-02-2011, 01:19 PM
Mike if you want to stay with an older version that worked well with windows and the 4g board, the 3.5.20 was very stable for me.

http://www.shopbottools.com/files/Setup_sb3_5_20.exe

This one is working well for me. I do use ecabs and need the newer version.
http://www.shopbottools.com/files/Setup_sb3_6_18.exe

The same thing applies about the firmware update with whatever version you choose.

You are using the serial to usb covertor cable right?
I went with a radio shack version of that cable and have had better luck with it.

The hub is kind of mandatory. I don't use a ups...

Get this far and see where you are at.

Mike Windsor
02-02-2011, 05:53 PM
seems to be stable for me to until I hit a switch , either 1 or 3 . Mine are wired normally open and I've played with the settings in VN . ---I did notice that even if I set the switch to normally open in VN that there is no choice for stop or limit like the newer versions of the software . When I do hit a switch the light comes on on the control panel , indicating the switch has been closed but it does not stop the machine . When running the Z zero routine it just broke the bit . ---It is when I try to move off of the switch that the comm error happens . My switches are spring loaded mechanical contacts , and if I stop on a switch then put a peice of paper between the contacts I can move off no problem . ---I'm wondering if the switch might be creating some kind of electrical Vodoo that is being sent back to the controler ?

ken_rychlik
02-02-2011, 06:02 PM
If you did not upgrade your software and update the firmware after that, you should start there.

Do you know how to update the firmware?

It lets the pc and controller communicate properly, so the instructions sent and recieved are understood.

ken_rychlik
02-02-2011, 06:12 PM
The proxy switches are more of an npn switch like a transistor and are three wires. How you have them wired could be an issue.

As long as the z zero plate is wired correct it should not be doing what it is though.

After the firmware update, if there is no joy, please explain exactly how you have the switches and plate wired.

Mike Windsor
02-02-2011, 06:13 PM
I did download and load the firmware in the Utilities menu , but wonder if it was successfull ? --is it possible that the V 3.6 firmware is still loaded ? ---is there a way to verify the firmware version currently loaded ?

ken_rychlik
02-02-2011, 06:15 PM
did you cycle the power off and back on, and see the progress bar when you did the firmware?

Mike Windsor
02-03-2011, 10:00 AM
to everyone for your inputs . ---As things are my bot is working great . Have a USB hub and UPS now . I'm using v 3.5.2 and I re-loaded the firmware and turned the control box off and on while doing it this time . ---This time I did see the blue progress bars on the firmware update . ---last few times it gave me the message that the firmware had been updated , but I didn't see the blue progress bars . I think turning the control box off and on during the firmware upgrade was the key .