PDA

View Full Version : looking at buying a used vac pump

meatbal80
02-10-2011, 11:09 AM
I have found a pair of squire cogswell vacuum pumps for sale. They are 7.5 horse 3 phase units that have been sitting for 2-3 years. I spoke to the owner about them and he was willing to sell them to me for 1000 a piece.

I have found somebody that is recomended by the manufacturer to do a overhaul on the units. I havent sent him the specifics yet so he has not provided me with any kind of quote.

I have also found a VFD at driveswarehouse.com that will allow me to run the pump in my single phase shop.

Any thoughts on the pumps, potential problems or comments on dealings with driveswarehouse.com would be greatly appreciated. I think that this sounds like a good deal but was hoping that you guys can confirm this or not.

Thanks Joel

harold_weber
02-10-2011, 05:32 PM
If you care to search the Forum, you will see that I posted back in 2005 that I had two Hitachi VFD's that I bought from Drives Warehouse, and I was happy with them.

As an update, I bought a third VFD from them about 3 years ago. Its their own brand, the 7.5 HP model, and I use it to run my regenerative blower vacuum setup. Its basically their 15 HP 3phase VFD that has been de-rated to 7.5 HP to run with single phase input. I'm happy with Drives Warehouse tech folks. One thing I really like with this VFD is the control pad detaches and you can extend it using standard Cat5 cable and plugs/jacks.

Be prepared to spend time reading the manual very carefully because you will need to program the VFD so it matches your spindle motor.