PDA

View Full Version : DXF or DWG from Corel

adup1gary
02-10-2004, 08:18 AM
I am exporting a simple design from Corel Draw 10.
I have the option to export as DXF, or DWG (AutoCad),can anyone explain the difference between these 2 formats to a novice?
I will be impoting this file into Visual Mill 5. Basic
Thanks,
Gary

gerald_d
02-10-2004, 08:50 AM
DXF and DWG were both invented by AutoDesk, the writers of AutoCAD. AutoDesk wanted the DXF to be an exchange format to work with programs from other companies, and they wanted the DWG to work only inside the AutoCAD family of products. However, the other suppliers did not agree with AutoDesk's ideas and they have "cracked" the codes for DWG. Now the differences between DXF and DWG are becoming a bit blurred. AutoDesk is not happy with these clones and sometimes their products refuse to read DXF's and DWG files produced by the "pirates". (The "pirates" even have their own website (http://www.opendwg.org/) where some history can be seen)

If you want to transfer between Corel and Visual Mill, you will have to find a format that works best for you. Most likely it is going to be DXF. More programs read and write DXF than DWG. Try the DXF first.

Both DXF and DWG are "vector" type files, containing the coordinates of the start and end of lines. Both are highly accurate and suitable for ShopBot type work.

artisan
02-10-2004, 01:36 PM
If you have text in your Corel design....you MUST "convert to curves" under the "arrange" dropdown before you can export as DXF. Visualmill will not "see" your file otherwise. Nor will any other toolpath program....D

sleepy
02-10-2004, 06:01 PM
You can export out of corel as a dxf and import into part wizard without converting to curves.