PDA

View Full Version : Speed Controller and Windows 7

davidp
02-28-2011, 05:56 PM
Hi All,

I was recently forced to upgrade to Window7 (Old Computer died). ( i have tried SB3.6.18, 3.6.24, 3.6.28, and 3.6.32)

I have a HSD 5 HP spindle with speed control. Everything worked fine under XP but with 7 the speed control driver is corrupted and I can not for the life of me get it to work. The drivers are installed when the SB3.6.xx is installed.

In device manager the driver shows as "SpeedControlu>". I originally thought that the download was corrupted so I tried several other versions, uninstalling and reinstalling and still no luck. I borrowed a computer running XPPro and SB3.6.32 loaded including the speedcontroller and worked as it should.

Is anyone else running SB3.6.xx with speed control on 7? if so how did you get it to work.

Regards,

David.

frank134
02-28-2011, 08:41 PM
did you reload the flim ware?

srwtlc
03-01-2011, 01:19 PM
David,

Once installed, it should show up in device manager under Ports as Shopbot Controller and the port # it's on.

In this folder, "C:\Program Files (x86)\ShopBot\ShopBot 3\Drivers\ShopBotControllerV201" (no (x86) if running 32 bit Win 7), there is a file named "DriverLoader.exe" Try running that and then open SB3 and go to Tools/Spindle Control. The spindle control window should pop up and if you click on "RPM", a fill-in sheet should open that you can fill in the port number and if you want it to start with SB3.

Try unplugging the controller and then installing the drivers and then plug it back in. If you're using a Hub for the control box, put the spindle control in a different port that's not on the hub (back of computer).

Scott

davidp
03-05-2011, 06:06 AM
Hi Frank & Scot,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. We have been extremely busy having to cut parts for 6 exhibition stands before the middle of March along with all our other clients, the bot is running 12 to 14 hours per day at the moment.

I don't think I mentioned that I am running a 2004 PRTAlpha that we have upgraded to have an ATC. A 5 hp HSD spindle, Yakasawa V74x VFD and a 6 position tool bar. I took nearly 6 months to complete and to iron out all of the issues, whilst all the that time maintaining production except for a 2 week period to replace rails and rollers and build a new table including a new vacuum plenum.

Frank, I did not reload the firmware on the control box. I will keep this in mind when I next try to upgrade to Win7.

Scot, I loaded the drivers manually from their folder, and also allowed the setup to do so, In each case and I tried 7 versions from SB3.6.18 to 3.6.32 the Spindle controller driver was named, according to device manager as "SpindleControlu>" the name in the quotes is how it appeared in device manager. It would not appear in the SB program when selected using the tool menu and the SB Control was not able to access it.

Because we have been so busy I reformatted the hard disk and reinstalled XP. I then reinstalled SB3.6.32 but due to a few other issues I have since rolled back to SB3.6.28. I have found that that is more stable with my ATC than 3.6.32. By the way I also did a clean install of Win 7.

I will have another try with Windows 7 and 3.6.32 at the end of the month when we are over the current rush.

Thank you for your input and help.

Kind regards,

David

Sydney
Australia.

davidp
03-05-2011, 06:11 AM
Scot

I also tried all of the USB ports on the computer as well Just in case one of them was fritzed. The spindle controller is connected to the computer and the Control box connects through a hub. I discovered that this was the only way for it to all work at some point lat year during the upgrade.

Regards,

David

Sydney
Australia

Ryan P
03-05-2011, 01:47 PM
In the device manager does what do you have listed under ports? You should see under ports ShopBot Controller (com?) The question mark will be a real number. If it is not listed under port then the drivers did not install correctly.

bleeth
03-05-2011, 02:40 PM
Interestingly enough I am also having issues getting a speed controller to work. The following is an e-mail I just sent to Frank. I put my own modular plug on the cord to the Delta as there wasn't one when I got my kit:
Everything is hooked up and programmed but window stays in preview mode. Just to be sure I did RJ 25 correctly I redid it the opposite but that did not solve issue. I didn’t think it would as I have done many of these and do know right from left!
I did notice that the red and green wires going into the terminal block on the board were loose and tightened them up. I verified that it is wired as the picture in the directions with the minor exception that the greens are tied together at the left instead of next over from the red but this should make no difference.
I have USB plugged directly into a Port on the computer and not through the hub. Port was recognized as 9 and device manager says speed control is operating properly. The indicator light on the speed control board is on.
Control box is hooked up to the computer through a high speed hub and is recognized as port 8
The fill in sheet that comes up also has fill-in blocks for Hertz and Hertz scale. They are at default of 60(htz) and 100(scale).
I verified the driver is installed as well. I am running SB 3.6.28

zeykr
03-05-2011, 04:04 PM
Dave,

check your email.

bleeth
03-12-2011, 11:33 AM
No joy yet. The different software that was sent to Ken was a Yasakawa issue but I have a Delta VFD. SB3 recognized the card and the slot no problem and opened up the speed controller but the card does not seem to recognize the VFD so they do not communicate back and forth and the controller window only operates preview mode. We tried changing the cable and connector from the card to the VFD and that had no effect. At this point I sent the card back to SB for troubleshooting. Over the phone troubleshooting had them puzzled as this issue seems to be a one shot.

scottbot
03-12-2011, 12:05 PM
I was running XP when I bought my speed controller and had nothing but grief trying to get it to work. After many calls to support and far too many hours spent trying unsuccessfully trying to get it to work I put it aside and just forgot about it.

A little while ago I got cranky about having spent the money and not getting it to work so I hauled it out and had another go at it. By this time there had been a number of control software updates. I was still using the same computer but now I was running Windows 7 on it.

My first attempt to get it going again was a failure. Same results as before. It would run in Preview Mode but not in Run Mode. If I persisted in playing with it it would lock everything up so I had to restart the Bot and my computer. Mulling over the problem as I was driving to work the next morning I wondered but couldn't recall if the wires running from the controller card to the VFD were shielded or not. Hmmmm.

As soon as I got home I went to the shop to check and sure enough the wires for the controller card were NOT shielded. Curious. I replace the unshielded wires with some shielded that I had on hand and tried it out. Presto Blamo!! It worked! Go figure. I fought that bugger thing for months and a simple wire change did the trick.

Hopefully that information will help some of you.
Good luck with it.

Scott

bleeth
03-12-2011, 04:00 PM
You are right that the wire supplied is not shielded. I'll see what Frank et al have to say this coming week and maybe that will pin it down. Since they have the control right now I can't try anything. I think I'll send them your reply in case they don't see the post. Thanks much for your suggestion.

bleeth
03-22-2011, 03:42 AM
SB has had the unit most of last week but hasn't checked it out yet.
I'll update later.

bleeth
03-22-2011, 07:25 PM
Got an e-mail from Frank this morning. Ryan found that in making some changes for it to work with the Yasakawa it created a problem for the Delta!! All fixed and on the way back. Looking forward to hooking er up and going for a test drive (or is that a test spin?).
Once again hat's off to SB support.