PDA

View Full Version : Z axis depth to deep

Rob Gunn
03-06-2011, 07:56 PM
OK, as a new-be to the ShopBot that I just picked up 2 weeks ago, yesterday was the first time I actualy had time to run a test project from drawing to sawdust. All went well until I checked the deepth of the cuts. the Z axis seen to cut around 1/8" deeper than what is in the program. I went back and checked all my numbers but all is correct. I did just install ShopBot Control Software Version 3.4.27PRT. The x and y axis seem to be just fine but the zis going to deep. I have set and zeroed the z axis via the zero plat and it does put the tool to the surface of the part as "0" as it should. Any ideas? Maybe I need to reset the z axis mutiplier? Thanks all, Rob Gunn

bleeth
03-07-2011, 06:19 AM
Check for slop in your z pinion. Could be loose, could be worn if this machine is only new to you.

robtown
03-08-2011, 09:35 AM
Make sure your z-plunge speed isn't set too high...

Rob Gunn
03-08-2011, 11:12 AM
I Fixed the issue last night. Found that the z ratio on the VU perameter was not right for my unit. Must be the defalt perameters that come in with the software download didnt match my machine. The X and Y were at a factor 733.386 but the Z was set to 916.7324. I changed the z to match the x and y and now all is as it should be. Life is good... One new question, what is the "A Unit Value" just below the z unit value on the VU screen? It had the same 916.7324 value, I changed it to 733.386 also and all is OK (as far as I know) but I would like to have a better understanding of what it is and if I should have changed it. Thanks always, Rob

bleeth
03-08-2011, 12:05 PM
A value is for indexers.
Record your values that work somewhere where you will remember to enter them when you upgrade software again.
Mine, due to a special built control box and how it's wired, needs the z value as a negative or I move the wrong way!!

robtown
03-08-2011, 03:34 PM
If you got the book that came with your machine (when purchased new) there is a chart in there of the correct values based on the pinion gear set up.