PDA

View Full Version : Attn: Bill young !!!

myxpykalix
03-24-2011, 11:36 PM
Hi Bill,
I am trying to help another botter with a indexer toolpath and i'm not sure this can be done but i'd rather go to the expert then to waste time banging my head on the wall.

Here is the situation, he sent me a jpg of a spindle profile which i am trying to make an accurate vector tracing of the profile...no problem.

However the issue he's dealing with is that he does not have an indexer but only a lathe mounted.
My question is can I make a toolpath with the Tools/Indexer/Carve the blank to a shape using a partwizard profile app in the control software
and have him be able to use it even though there will be A or B axis moves incorporated into the toolpath?

My concern is that those A/B commands will interfere with the operation.
I was also concerned with the lathe speeds vs. the carriage movements.

I know that Legacy cnc's use a mach3 control software which allows for an independant axis control (slightly different issue) but the toolpathing is more of a "turning toolpath" then a "carving raster toolpath".

I've been working on this for a couple nights and can't this resolved in my head on how to do this, if it can be done...thanks!:)

Brady Watson
03-25-2011, 09:31 AM
You don't need the B moves. Just run it as if it had an indexer on it & spin the lathe. Make sure you don't cut too deep each pass.

-B

myxpykalix
03-25-2011, 04:22 PM
thanks, i appreciate the confirmation.:D

bill.young
03-25-2011, 04:44 PM
John,

You can do it without using the Indexer Virtual Tool if you want...here are 2 options:

*) If you want to cut from the side with the edge of a stright bit, you can just create a profile toolpath in Partworks and run that with the indexer spinning. The instructions of placing the spindle profile in the Indexer Virtual Tool should help get the drawing setup for toolpathing

*) If you want to cut from the top with a ballnose bit the way that the Indexer Virtual Tool does, there's a program in the File Toolbox in the Tools menu called the "Flipper", that takes a sbp profile toolpath created in X and Y, and flips it on edge so that it's basically vertical. Then run that file with the lathe spinning underneath the bit. There are some instructions on using it with PartWizard in your "c:/program files/shopbot/virtual tools/utilities/flipper" folder...the theory is the same for PartWorks.

A couple of things to consider:

*) I'd suggest that you create your toolpath and zero the bit at the centerline of the blank, but I know you hate to do that. You can zero any where you want, but just be aware of where your zero points will be when you place your spindle drawing in PartWorks.

*) plan for how the bit will enter and exit the bit, so that it doesn't bury itself in the blank or grind through the headstock or tailstock

*) I've got no insights on speeds...they vary depending on bit size, lathe speeds, material, resolution of the toolpath, etc. You'll have to experiment.

*) as always with something experimental like this, preview the file and maybe read it in the editor too, to try to eliminate any surprises. I'd suggest making some extra test blanks to play with to help finetune speeds

For simple symmetrical spindles that don't have flutes, spirals, or other fancy stuff like that, turning over a lathe will work well and should be pretty fast.

Good luck,
Bill

myxpykalix
03-25-2011, 07:33 PM
its always good to have the "experts" to help. I have wanted to do some side cutting for another project with some side reeding bits i have. This will help.....thanks B & B:)