PDA

View Full Version : Lead In, Lead Out

tjar
03-28-2011, 11:35 AM
I am cutting counter supports with Plam on both sides. What I'm looking for is a way to lead in away from the piece, cut the piece, and lead out when finished cutting the profile so it doesn't chip the Plam.And also, is there a way to plunge in at the same location of each piece instead of letting the software choose. I am using Part Wizard.

Thanks,
Todd

Brady Watson
03-28-2011, 12:35 PM
Select the vector and press the 'N' key. This will get you out of selection mode & into Node Editing mode. Hover your mouse where you want the tool to enter the material and press the 'P' key. This can also be done by just selecting the vector outline & hover your mouse where you want the start to be and press the 'P' key - it doesn't work 100% of the time, so you might have to go into Node Editing mode.

Under the Profile toolpath, there is an option to both lead in & lead out. You have hit the check box to expand that section of the toolpath fill-in sheet to see it. It's been there since v1.02

-B

bleeth
03-28-2011, 03:21 PM
Todd:

I do this all the time with no issue by using a decent mortising bit. You can also make sure your start point is at the top of the support in back where it can't be seen once you are done installing just in case. You want to plunge for plastic speeds so you don't pop through the surface.

tjar
03-28-2011, 03:38 PM
Brady and Dave, I've done the start point, did my toolpath, zoomed in to check the toolpath, And it shows that it is leading in, in the middle of the radius. That's not what I want, I need it to lead in at the top corner where it won't be seen. I have never had any success when I've done it beforeand I thought there was something I was missing and that's why I posted the question. My start point is green like it should be but it won't start there. Any other suggestions? Getting a little fustrated.

Todd

beacon14
03-28-2011, 04:41 PM
Part Wizard or PartWorks? Brady's steps sounded like they are for PartWorks. If that is the case than you need to select "Use vector start points" to force it to start at the Start Point you created.

Brady Watson
03-28-2011, 09:29 PM
I was talking about PartWizard...

You can choose a straight OR circular lead in by selecting either one. It's pretty simple...experiment on scrap 1st.

-B

bleeth
03-29-2011, 06:09 AM
You can insert a start point wherever you want on your object. Select the vector, go into node edit, hover over the spot where you want to put a start point, right-click, and select "insert start point".

By the way, have you made sure that the different lines and curves you created to make your object are fully joined? (Select all vectors, right click, select join)

tjar
03-29-2011, 09:40 AM
I'm using Part Wizard 1.020. I can hover over other points and make them a start point but, the corner where I really want to start, won't let me. I guess I'll figure something out. Thanks for your help

Brady Watson
03-29-2011, 01:59 PM
Zip up the .art file and post it. OR post a screen shot. A pic is worth a thousand words...

Help us help you.

-B