PDA

View Full Version : Please help with wire routing

joel_will
04-20-2011, 09:59 PM
Hello All! Been lurking since I ordered my Standard, but just registered. I'm assembling my machine, and I'm to the point that I need to route the wires to the control box (I have the PC router). The set-up manual is less-than-optimal (to put it nicely) when it comes to wire routing. I've found several older posts on the same subject, but none have pictures. Would anyone be willing to post a few pictures of the routing on their Standard machine? Thanks in advance.

Brady Watson
04-21-2011, 07:26 AM
Gather all the wires coming out of the back of the X car and zip tie them into a nice neat bundle/bridle. Find the center of the table under the back table extrusion, and use the 2X3" plates to zip tie the bundle to the machine. You want to leave a dangling loop at that midpoint that allows the X car to move all the way to the furthest point at the end of -X and +X carriage travel. The loop should not drag on the floor or get caught on anything.

Then run the rest of the wires over to the control box. You can zip tie them to the bottom crossmember. Coil the wires in an 18" diameter coil, and let each wire 'spiral out' of the coil so that you get the proper length going into the control box. Be patient, it takes a little time & luck - but you won't have issues later down the line. Be sure that you have proper strain relief on all wires.

Later on you can buy a section of E-chain for the X axis if you find the loop an issue. If it is done properly, you should not have a problem.

-B