PDA

View Full Version : Buddy converted to Mach 3?

kwaldron3435
05-07-2011, 05:19 PM
Has anyone successfully converted a buddy standard to Mach 3 interface? Would like to know what all is involved and general cost or other ideas.

Kevin

Brady Watson
05-07-2011, 05:43 PM
You can 'convert' practically anything to run on Mach3 - but, Why would you want to do this?

-B

kwaldron3435
05-09-2011, 05:17 PM
Brady,

Have several other larger machines running Mach 3.......... just think it makes life easier if everything is on the same page.........

My question was/is what controlls, wiring etc. has to be changed.......I've not had much experience at all this stuff............. software is no problem just the hard wire.......etc.

Kevin

cr2
05-28-2011, 09:55 AM
I too have another machine running standard G-code on Mach 3. Though I read this Shopbot forum regularly, one of the things keeping me from seriously considering a Buddy is the dedicated Shopbot software. I don't want to have to learn a new system when I get a 2nd machine. So it would be nice if someone out there has an answer to Kevin's question.

srwtlc
05-28-2011, 10:53 AM
Seriously, the control software (SB3) is easier to learn how to use than Mach3 and if you want to stick with G-code for your part files instead of using Shopbot code, you can run G-code through it too.

If you're using Aspire or VCP or some other CAM program, the chosen post processor handles all of that anyway.

Another plus, you don't have to deal with the problem of constant velocity and corner rounding.

Mach3 is good and fun to tinker with getting it all dialed in, making and configuring your own zero plate and modifying the screen to use it and setting up the script to run it, configuring and modifying buttons and scripts under those buttons to do special things like homing and offsets and all that good stuff.

On the other hand, if you want to start using the machine right out of the box, well......

joe
05-28-2011, 11:01 AM
Scott,

Not necessairly!

These fellows are now running machines with Mach 3. They know their programs. It's doubtful anyone running a world standard program like Mach will walk backward to a priority system.

But the main point is, you have on screen functions and capabilities, otherwise not available. Seeing what's happening on the screen and what's about to happen is invaluable. That alone save lots of mistake and time. Dialing up spindle speeds and travel time while running is also very helpful. While a files is cutting through a particular material I is can often tell by sound if the travel is correct. A nudge of a key changes everything. Same goes for spindle speed. No starting or stoppin. I could go on for ever but it's no avail. You'd have to change out the controller/power supply.

I've run both.

Joe Crumley
www.normansignco.com (http://www.normansignco.com)

danhamm
05-28-2011, 02:17 PM
Well, Kevin and Charlie... I guess the easiest answer would be to swap out the shopbot controller/power supply and replace it with a Gecko G540..

Or remove the control and breakout board and replace it with a pmdx or equivilent, both of these are going back to a parrallel port computer, there is a usb module for pmdx.
You will have to do a lot of rewiring and playing to get the bells and whistles back to what was available on the shopbot system..

erik_f
05-30-2011, 09:52 AM
A Gecko 540 with Mach would be the easiest if you have the standard buddy. If you have an Alpha, I don't know. I'm not sure what kind of speed and power you would be giving up or not with the 540 either. Marris at Gecko is a super nice guy and if you get the specs for the steppers you are running he will help you find out what is possible. When I blew up my standard control board this was a direction I investigated. The same reason the OP wants to know about going to MACH is the same reason I opted not to go with MACH...I just didn't want to take the time to learn something new. Yes it is possible.

Gary Campbell
05-30-2011, 10:29 AM
Kevin, Charlie...
Yes it is possible. It may even be practical, but not from a cost factor. For sure, the process will be unsupported, unwarranted and undocumented but a number have done it.

There are a number of online sources for this kind of info, this forum may not be the best, as the majority of us are very SB loyal. It would be hard to get info on the Chevy forum on how to put in a Ford motor.

joe
05-31-2011, 07:36 AM
Excellent post Gary,

I wish you had posted this sage advice at the first of this thread.

Joe crumley