PDA

View Full Version : Best Bits

dstacey
05-19-2011, 11:54 PM
Sorry to bother everyone with more newbe questions, but I couldn't find anything on this, it may be that i just don't know how to search very well.

I am getting ready to cut my first cabinet job using particle board with rustic alder on both sides, baltic birch, and 2 faced mdf. I was wondering what experience says about which bits perform best in these sheet goods?

Is a straight bit better than a down cut spiral or is there something else that I should be using?

Thanks,
Dave

Gary Campbell
05-20-2011, 12:26 AM
Dave...
I use compression spirals for cutting 2 sided veneers. Mortise compression when dados are included in the cuttings. Either one will give good edge quality for both veneer faces.

wberminio
05-20-2011, 07:39 AM
Ditto,Compression bits are the way to go with sheet material.
I've been using .375" mortice compression bits/single flute

dstacey
05-20-2011, 12:50 PM
Thanks,
I'll have to look into that, I'm not framilar with compression bits.

I knew that I could count on you guys for some good advice.
Thanks,
Dave

dstacey
05-21-2011, 07:10 AM
Just one more question:
When you are drilling the holes in the same material for shelf brackets with the air drill, do you use brad point bits or forsner bits, or something else?
Thanks,
Dave

Gary Campbell
05-21-2011, 08:04 AM
Carbide tipped brad point boring bits like these: http://www.toolstoday.com/p-5357-brad-point-boring-bits-70mm-long-10mm-x-30mm-shank-right-hand.aspx

dstacey
05-21-2011, 08:44 AM
Thanks Gary,
I have been doing this manualy for years, but to use a cnc has made me change my thinking process.
I appreicate your help.
Dave